When Amy Newmark sat down and read more than 100 past Chicken Soup for the Soul books nine years ago, prior to becoming publisher and editor-in-chief of the iconic series, she had no idea how much reading those 10,000 stories would change her. She says that her “crash course in Chicken Soup for the Soul advice and wisdom” left her happier, more relaxed, more compassionate, and more grateful for the blessings in her life. And she reports that her education has continued as a result of the tens of thousands of additional revealing, personal stories she has read since that initial immersion.
Simply Happy distills what Newmark has learned into a fast-paced and funny deep dive into dozens of simple ways to create a happy, confident, and positive life. Most of her tips are easy to implement—in a second—just by deciding to view something differently. Newmark recounts examples from her own life and more than 60 Chicken Soup for the Soul stories that she found particularly influential. There are 25 chapters with a wide-ranging selection of Newmark’s best stories and tips, including chapters on:
- the life-changing impact of something as small as getting in the habit of smiling
- using thankfulness to change relationships at home, at school, and at work
- easy time management tips
- having fun while raising responsible kids
- using the power of no to make time for what matters
- making a habit of stepping outside your comfort zone
- harnessing your dreams to discover what your subconscious already knows
- changing your life forever through forgiveness
- six easy ways to reduce stress and keep it away
- why you need to eliminate toxic people from your life
- how to get the best out of everyone—family, friends and strangers
- why you should strive for excellence but not perfection
- why you should treat yourself as well as you treat your guests
Note from Susan: When I was a teenager and young woman, I read Norman Vincent Peale's book, The Power of Positive Thinking, over and over again. With its real-life interesting stories and powerful advice, it really helped me to develop self-confidence and have the courage to go after big things in life. I mention this because Amy's book reminds me so much of that perennial bestseller. She presents stories not only from her personal life, but from the hundreds of Chicken Soup for the Soul books she has read and edited over the years. Her tips are practical and realistic, easy to implement and potentially life-changing.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate my honest review. This post contains my Amazon affiliate link, and I will receive a small commission on purchases made through my link.