Summer will be here before you know it, and you might be considering a family road trip! Of course, you’ll want to pack the proper wardrobe and supplies for your destination, but you’ll also want to think about how you can make the trip as safe as possible for your family. Here are some tips:
• Minimize the risk of falling asleep while driving by taking plenty of breaks. Consider leaving earlier than you need to get to your final destination and doing a little sightseeing along the way. Every town you pass through is a new place to be discovered! Sometimes interesting things can be found off the beaten path rather than in a guidebook. Your family will be talking for years to come about the unusual sights they saw.
• Make sure your car is in tip-top condition before you leave. Check the oil and tires. Get any scheduled maintenance done before you go. Have current insurance information in your wallet or glove compartment. Nothing ruins a trip more than getting stuck somewhere for several days while your car is being repaired after a breakdown.
• Make any hotel reservations before you leave. You don’t want to arrive somewhere late at night and find that all the hotel rooms in town have been taken for a big convention!
• Stay off your cell phone except for emergencies. Even if it’s legal to use your phone while driving where you live, it may not be legal where you are going. Pay attention to the road and don’t let yourself get distracted by phone calls, texting or movies. Consider purchasing an audiotape of a family-friendly book for everyone to listen to!
Cargo Security and Towing Security products. You want to be sure that your valuables arrive when you do!
• Don’t drive if the weather gets severe. You never know what kind of conditions you could be driving into. Consider heading for the nearest town and taking a meal break until the weather is clear again. Pad extra time into your scheduled trip to allow for unexpected delays due to weather or traffic tie-ups.
• Hopefully, this goes without saying, but make sure that everyone always buckles up!
These are just a few of the ways in which you can keep your family safe on a road trip. Be sure to read up on more ideas for ensuring their safety so that you’ll have a wonderful summer vacation!
Disclaimer: As a member of the Master Lock Live Secure Safety Squad, I receive products and compensation in exchange for sharing information with my readers. However, all opinions are 100% my own.