While Mike and Ike candies are delicious all by themselves, they also make great ingredients in recipes! Check out some of the fun goodies you can make below with Mike and Ike Hot Tamales or Passion Mix!
BeJeweled Mike and Ike Cookies
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ready Time: 25 min
• 1 ½ Boxes of MIKE AND IKE® Passion Mix
• 2/3 Cup margarine – cold
• 1 Cup Sugar
• 1 Egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 Cups flour
• 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a mixer bowl, put 2/3 C Margarine, 1 C Sugar, 1 Egg and 1 teaspoon Vanilla.
3. Mix until well creamed.
4. Add in 2 C flour and 1 teaspoon Baking Soda.
5. Add in chopped up MIKE AND IKE® Passion Mix, mix into a dough (will be slightly sticky).
6. Roll into 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheets lined with baking paper.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Centers will be slightly soft.
8. Let cool.
Hot Tamales Snickerdoodles
Servings: 2 dozen
• 1/2 cup (4 oz) HOT TAMALES® Candies, coarsely chopped*
• 1/4 cup (2 oz) salted margarine, softened
• 1/4 cup (2 oz) shortening (I use Spectrum Organic)
• 3/4 cups (5.6 oz) granulated sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 cups (6.75 oz) all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• pinch of salt (increase to 1/4 tsp if using unsalted margarine)
• 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
• 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
*The candy is quite sticky so the best way to chop it is with a lightly oiled knife.
1. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together the margarine, shortening and ¾ cups sugar. Add the egg and beat until thoroughly combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients (except the candy) into the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chopped candy and mix until the candy is evenly distributed, a few minutes more.
4. Refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes (this makes it easier to handle).
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Form dough into balls the size of small walnuts (I use a tablespoon cookie scoop). Roll the balls of cookie dough in the cinnamon sugar.
7. Place the cookies two inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets in the oven at the halfway point. They are done when they look puffed in the middle and slightly brown at the edges (the tops of the cookies will form cracks). Be careful not to overcook.
8. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and let cookies sit on it for another minute or so before removing to cooling rack; cookies will flatten out as they cool.
9. These cookies are best served warm, straight out of the oven, but they can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
Valentine’s Day will be here before you know it. Pick up some boxes of Mike and Ike Passion Mix and Hot Tamales Cinnamon Candy for the special people in your life. And don’t forget to whip up some tasty Bejeweled Cookies or Snickerdoodles using the recipes above! For more information, visit www.mikeandike.com and www.hottamales.com. And be sure to “like” Mike and Ike on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mikeandike and www.facebook.com/hottamales.