Thursday, August 16, 2012

Third Thursday Thoughts: Spending Quality Time Together as a Family

Welcome to another edition of Third Thursday Thoughts, brought to you by the wonderful people at Hearts at Home! Every third Thursday of the month, we’ll be sharing our thoughts on the topic of the month. This month’s topic: With schedules picking up, how do you make time to stay close as a family and make connecting a priority?

No doubt about it, my boys are busy, busy, busy. And so are their parents! But we still manage to find some quality time together. Here’s how…

Take advantage of “down time” in the car. We’re in the car a lot, and I try to use that time to talk to my boys. We don’t allow game systems or movies in the car (unless we’re on long-distance road trips), so I have my boys’ full attention.

Attend each other’s events. The whole family goes to my boys’ sporting events. I can’t say that I’m always excited about my seemingly 10,000th trip to the ball park, but once I’m there, I really get into the game. And I know how important it is for my boys to see both of their parents cheering them on.

Eat dinner together whenever possible. You’ve probably heard this suggestion before, but it bears repeating. We all eat at the table together as many nights as we can. Like being in the car, this is a great time to capture your kids’ attention and stimulate discussion. Turn off the TV and talk!

Stick with traditions. My kids really look forward to the weekends. Friday night is always Pizza Night. And we usually have Family Movie Night on Friday or Saturday. We all really look forward to this time together to watch a fun family film with popcorn.

Don’t overschedule Sundays. This is the one day a week when we rarely have sporting events or practices. My husband and I both work at home, so it’s always tempting to work whenever we don’t have to be anywhere. But I try to set the work aside on Sundays and just enjoy hanging out with my kids.

So, what about you? How do you make time to stay close as a family and make connecting a priority?

For more tips on staying close, hop around to the other blogs participating in this month’s Third Thursday Thoughts! CLICK HERE to find a list. (Check it throughout the day as more links are added!)

DISCLOSURE: All Hearts at Home bloggers will be entered into a monthly drawing to win a book. No financial compensation has been provided.


  1. Great list, Susan!! I love the first one about time in the car~ we don't allow electronic stuff either, but I hadn't really thought about how much time we spend in there and making it more quality time. It definitely adds up! Thanks for hopping with us!

  2. Great suggestions. I wish I could say my girls soccer games were not on Sundays. It seems no day is set aside anymore. And I love family movie night!

  3. I especially like the idea of intentionally using travel time. We live outside of town so it takes about 20-30 minutes to get anywhere. Plenty of time to talk and reconnect! Thanks for sharing.

  4. Thanks for your thoughts. I like the idea of the entire family supporting each other and sporting events and such. We did this growing up and it's a good reminder before all of mine are involved in such.

  5. Hmmm...I think it's probably time we started some regular traditions in our house. Thanks for the ideas!

  6. I LONG for the days when we can eat together as a family, but right now I feel like those days will never come. I love the not over-scheduling on Sunday. I try my best to do that. Great post!


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.