Thursday, June 28, 2012

Exclusive Interview with Ashley Townsend, Author of "Rising Shadows"!

What is this book about?
It’s about a modern-day young woman, Sarah, who gets transported back in time to the twelfth century. Her untimely appearance thrusts her into the middle of a false witch hunt in a kingdom shrouded with mystery and deception. When the only person who can help her return home is thrown in prison and sentenced to death, Sarah enlists the assistance of the Shadow -- the hooded town hero whose identity remains a secret -- to help her save her friend and uncover an assassination plot against the king. There’s a little romance between Sarah and the Shadow, which causes some internal conflict for her when she also becomes drawn to Will, a handsome and enigmatic blacksmith in town. When Sarah and Will interfere with the assassin’s plans, they find themselves trapped in the middle of a conspiracy where they become the targets in a series of disasters.

How did you get the idea for this book?
I originally wrote the idea as a short story final in my eighth-grade creative writing class and decided to start playing with the story after watching BBC’s Robin Hood series years later. Then the ideas just kept coming and changing the storyline until what it is today.

Is this your first book? If not, what else have you written?
Rising Shadows is my first book, but I have so many ideas for future novels and series, and I’m currently working on the sequel to this book.

When did you start writing? Do you have any advice for beginning writers?
I have been writing since I could make words, but I didn’t fall in love with writing until I turned eight, and then you couldn’t get me to stop -- that was when I decided I wanted to be an author. Do not give up! If you love to write, then love it with all your heart and keep on writing, regardless of what people say or the obstacles in your way. When you can’t jump over the wall blocking your path, then chip away at it until it falls or find a ladder tall enough to make your way over it. If God gave you the gift of storytelling and the dream of writing, then you can be sure He has a plan for it. Just keep working at it!

Why did you decide to write a book in this genre?
I have always loved fantasy, science fiction, and historical fiction, so that probably had the largest influence on the genres I started writing in, but I don’t think I ever did it consciously.

Do you plan a sequel or future books?
Yes! I am hard at work on the sequel to Rising Shadows and have the entire third and final book in the trilogy written out in my head.

Do you have a website? How can we order this book?
You can follow me on my website, www.ashley-townsend.com, and also on my Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ashleytownsend.author.You can purchase the book at www.vyrso.com or through http://kirkdalepress.com/books/rising-shadows/.

I love hearing about your experiences with the book and why you were drawn to certain characters, so comment on my pages or send me an email to ashleytownsend.author@yahoo.com. Your support means the world to me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.