Thursday, April 19, 2012

Third Thursday Thoughts: Finding Balance

Welcome to another edition of Third Thursday Thoughts, brought to you by the wonderful people at Hearts at Home! Every third Thursday of the month, we’ll be sharing our thoughts on the topic of the month. This month’s topic: How do you find balance in your life?

This is a really tough topic for me because I’m still working on finding balance in my life! I work from home as an editor, and the boundaries are often blurred between my home life and my work life. I don’t have set times when I devote myself exclusively to one role or another. You’ll often find me tackling a work project while my kids are doing homework or sleeping. I feel guilty when I spend too much time working, and I feel guilty when I’m not working! I want to spend more time with my kids, and yet I want to teach them that they are also responsible for entertaining themselves. And even when I’m doing one thing or another, my mind is often elsewhere. While I’m shooting baskets with the boys outside, I’m thinking about the blogging I need to do. Or when I’m on my computer, I’m worried that I’ve forgotten to make an appointment for my family or that I’m not feeding my kids a good dinner.

The best piece of advice I think I’ve read in terms of achieving balance is to live in the moment. When you’re playing with your kids, do your best to focus your whole attention on them and not think about other things. And when you’re working, just deal with one task at a time. Clear your mind and focus on what you’re doing. Of course, this is all easier said than done! But I’m going to keep trying to achieve more balance in my life. I know that I’ll be less stressed, and my family will be the beneficiaries of my full attention.

So, what about you? How do you find balance in your life? Feel free to comment below and visit the other blogs participating in Third Thursday Thoughts for inspiration!

DISCLOSURE: All Hearts at Home bloggers will be entered into a monthly drawing to win a book. No financial compensation has been provided.


  1. Living in the moment is what helps me feel like I'm not drowing. I may not have a clean house or be the perfect parent, wife or friend. However, I'm fully in the moment I'm in. Completely agreed.

  2. For me I can balance my life by focusing what I am doing at the very moment, not worrying about any conflicts at home. And if I am at home, I will leave all the concerns at work to be with my family, fully.


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.