Saturday, April 07, 2012
Debbie heard that one of the pancake houses in Idaho Falls was serving stuffed pancakes. Intrigued, she checked it out. They were simply putting pastry filling between two pancakes. “I can do better than that,” she thought. After a morning in the test kitchen, she was making cute little pancake turnovers with raspberry or other fruit fillings inside. Here’s how:
1. Prepare the pancake batter from your favorite recipe or mix. It works best if the batter is a little thin.
2. Preheat a skillet or griddle by melting a little butter over medium heat. To assure that your pancakes cook all the way through, you’ll want the heat a little lower than for other pancakes.
3. Pour an evenly round circle of pancake batter on the skillet.
4. Let it cook until little bubbles form, then pop, and the indentations stay on the batter.
6. Fold the uncooked pancake over the filling. The edge of raw batter on the top half should touch the raw batter edge on the other when folded. It will continue to cook and seal itself on the griddle.
7. Put on a lid over the pancake to help it cook through. Flip as needed to keep the browning even. Let it cook until all the batter looks cooked through.
To serve, dust the pancake with powdered sugar, pour on a little fruit pancake syrup, and top them with whipped cream.
Flavor Combinations to Try:
• Baked Apple Pancakes with Apple Filling
• Strawberries & Cream Pancakes with Bavarian Cream Filling
• Pumpkin Pie Pancakes with Cream Cheese Filling
• Gingerbread Pancakes with Lemon Filling
• Cinnamon Chip Pancakes with Apple Filling
• Cinnamon Chip Pancakes with Cream Cheese Filling
• Raspberry Sour Cream Pancakes with Raspberry Filling
• Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancakes with Blueberry Filling
• Buttermilk Pancakes with Cherry Filling
• Mayan Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Chocolate Bavarian Cream Filling
Dennis Weaver is the founder of The Prepared Pantry. He is the author of How to Bake, a 250 page book about the art and science of baking. You can download a free copy of How to Bake by clicking the banner below.