Sunday, March 18, 2012

In the Spotlight: Roxanna from The Jolly Blogger

Welcome to the weekly series, “In the Spotlight,” on Susan Heim on Parenting! Each Sunday, I post a fun interview with a blogger so you can get to know her or him better. Roxanna from The Jolly Blogger is this week’s featured blogger! If you’re a blogger and would like to be “in the spotlight,” please email me at smhparent [at] hotmail [dot] com with your name, blog name, and URL. Put “In the Spotlight” in the subject line. Now, here’s Roxanna from The Jolly Blogger!


Have you seen any good movies lately? What did you like?

I watched a movie on Netflix called From Prada to Nada, and I was fascinated by it because, instead of being a “rags to riches” story, it was the opposite. One daughter is obsessed with fashion and all material things, while her sister is focused on her career. After their father dies unexpectedly, they find out he had an illegitimate son who inherits their mansion. His wife is a total you-know-what, and the sisters end up moving in with their aunt. There, they are immersed in the Spanish language and culture that they never had while living in luxury. Eventually, they both cycle through romantic relationships and heartache. I thought it had some pretty good messages.

I thought about going to watch The Lorax the other day. Maybe some other time!

If we were to visit you, what sights should we see in your town?

What’s great about where I’m at is that we’re only about an hour and a half’s drive to the Redwoods and the coast and about the same distance to the Oregon caves. There are lots of places to hike, and I guess I’ve been here so long that I take a lot of the scenery for granted. People always comment about how beautiful it is here, and when I first moved here, I was in awe myself.

What is the worst job you’ve ever had?

My fiancé and I went down to San Pedro, CA, to sell Christmas trees to the wealthy people who lived at Rancho Palos Verdes. It was challenging because we were lugging around wet trees, drilling holes in them, pounding stands on them and making sure the tree lot stayed filled. Other job duties included tree sales, tying trees on top of cars and delivery. We worked sixteen hours a day for about a month. When things got particularly stressful, the boss started micro-managing things and was pretty verbally abusive. You can guess I never did that again.

What was your “label” (brain, jock, socialite, etc.) in high school?

I was a nerd, though I did play on the basketball team. I was voted Most Likely to Succeed and Most Likely to Write a Best-Selling Novel.

What is your favorite sport? Do you root for a particular team?

I was really into basketball in high school, but now not so much. We neither watch nor play sports. We were heavily into hiking and going rock climbing (mainly spectatoring the climbing for me) for a while, and that tapered off since I started going back to school.

Are you a night owl or an early bird?

Both. With my schedule, I burn the midnight oil and have to rise early!

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?

Take time for yourself. We as moms, bloggers, students, employees, CEOs and everything in-between need boundaries. If we don’t take care of ourselves, we are of no use to anyone!

If you could go back in time, what period of history would you like to live in?

I used to think it would be awesome to live in the Victorian Era, but now I’m not so sure! I mean, women have come so far in history that it’s hard to want to go backwards.

Tell us something that drives you crazy about your significant other.

I can send him to the grocery store with a detailed list, and he’s like a deer in the headlights. I can guarantee that he will always forget 2-3 things that I put on that list! lol

What talent do you wish you had?

I wish I could play the violin ... or any instrument for that matter! I suppose I still have plenty of time to learn! :)



Roxanna is a full-time, first-generation college student. She loves blogging because it is a creative outlet that allows her to take breaks from academic writing. She lives with her daughter and fiancé in beautiful Southern Oregon with their 4 cats, dog, chickens, and rabbits. She has a ton of giveaways planned for Spring Break, so stay tuned!

The Jolly Blogger: http://roxannajolly.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheJollyBlogger
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thejollyblogger
Google+: https://plus.google.com/102583958102218898027/posts

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the feature, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.