Sunday, March 25, 2012

In the Spotlight: Kristin from Keenly Kristin

Welcome to the weekly series, “In the Spotlight,” on Susan Heim on Parenting! Each Sunday, I post a fun interview with a blogger so you can get to know her or him better. Kristin from Keenly Kristin is this week’s featured blogger! If you’re a blogger and would like to be “in the spotlight,” please email me at smhparent [at] hotmail [dot] com with your name, blog name, and URL. Put “In the Spotlight” in the subject line. Now, here’s Kristin from Keenly Kristin!

What do you like to do on a rainy or snowy day?
On a snowy day, my ultimate thing to do is stay in PJs (warm, fuzzy ones, of course), cuddled under blankets, drinking hot chocolate and watching movies. Cliché? Yes. Awesome? Indeed.

Who are your favorite musical artists?
Tough one. In no particular order -- Frank Sinatra, Motley Crue, Guns ‘n’ Roses, The Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Motown. I have also jumped (OK, climbed) on the Adele bandwagon.

If you were on a talent show, what would your act be?
I would never, ever be on a talent show. I don’t sing, I don’t do magic (unless you count how quickly I can disappear when a camera appears), and I don’t dance (unless you count the way I have to race to the bathroom at times).

What book (or series) did you read over and over again as a child?
Several, actually. The Encyclopedia Brown series, Trixie Belden, and Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. I also liked Harriet the Spy, Judy Blume books, and the Henry and Beezus series (by Beverly Cleary).

What is your favorite season and why?
Summer -- mainly because I love the beach (we live close to the Jersey Shore!) and I love baseball. There’s something just magical about all that comes with warm weather -- fireflies and honeysuckle and big, shady trees, kids getting sprayed by the hose and eating water ice, fireworks and block parties and, well, you get the idea.

Do you have a weird habit or superstition?
Indeed I do. I would say the weirdest habit (which I’ve never told anyone, by the way) is that I mentally count letters in words. For instance (OK, I know this is weird), I count the letters in names of just about everything (people’s names, movies, TV shows, etc.), or in a sentence if someone were to say something to me. I get annoyed when there are an odd number of letters. I have no clue why. I’ve been doing this since I was a kid. My full, given name has an odd number of letters. Not thrilled about that.

Why did you start your blog?
Interestingly enough, I started “sweeping” after seeing a family who was obsessed with giveaways on an episode of Wife Swap. I had recently become disabled (which is a whole other story) and decided to see what this whole “sweeping” thing was about. I started entering ... and winning. Then I started to see past the giveaways and began reading the blogs themselves. I have a background in journalism and thought that starting my own blog would be the perfect outlet for my passion for writing.

Name three foods you can’t stand.
Onions, Sloppy Joes, green olives.

Are you a make-up or no-make-up kind of girl?
No make-up. I never even think about it, truthfully. If we go out to dinner or for some occasion, I’ll wear make-up. Luckily, I have good genes and am aging significantly better than I expected I would (especially given how much time I’ve spent in the sun), so going without make-up is not too much of a problem.

Tell us about one of your best memories!
One of my best memories is when a surgeon came out of the operating room, into the hallway where my family and I were waiting for news about my two-year-old son. He had been diagnosed with a very serious form of cancer (neuroblastoma) just three days before. Before surgery, doctors had informed us that my son would likely lose a kidney and part of his spleen and liver in trying to remove all the cancer. The surgeon said that something mysterious had occurred since the time they had taken the CT scans, because none of his internal organs were affected by the tumor. They removed his tumor, and he walked out of the hospital five days later as the first pediatric patient to ever survive neuroblastoma. They (and I) considered it a miracle.




About Kristin:
Kristin grew up in and around Philadelphia … and after spending her adult life -- all of it homesick -- in Maryland and Ohio, finally returned home in 2008. Kristin has always had a passion for writing (and probably thinks she’s better at it than she actually is) and once dreamed of becoming a sports journalist. Instead, she did time as an editor for a university newspaper, a Communications Assistant for a county prosecutor, and a crime reporter for a city newspaper. Kristin, a product of Catholic schools, enjoys anything competitive, but mainly sticks to Yahtzee, Quizzo, and Seinfeld/movie trivia. She’s passionate about everything -- like authentic soft pretzels and water ice, but especially the Phillies.

Keenly Kristin: http://www.keenlykristin.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kristinnw
FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keenly-Kristin/104515306278207
G+ https://plus.google.com/112302513582051245558/posts
RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/keenlykristin/ugmt

0 comments:

Post a Comment