Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Doubt Monster

Guest post by Tracy S. Deitz
Author of Employed By God: Benefits Packaged With Faith

The Doubt Monster towered above, taunting me with “So you think God loves you, huh?”

At first, I staunchly replied, “Yes.”

“So why’d He let you lose your job?”

My lips quivered; faith wavered. That was one question I certainly didn’t know how to answer. And so began a journey finding hope when there appeared to be none.

Maybe like me, you want to believe in miracles. After all, the Bible tells us divine intervention is possible. But what do we do when it seems that God doesn’t show up when we need Him the most?

When our beliefs in Red-Sea partings evaporate, what then?

Rebounding from rejection and finding new employment are trials many face today in a roller-coaster economy full of unpredictable dives. In the absence of paychecks and job titles, from where do we draw our sense of purpose and fulfillment?

God often calls us to leave behind the familiar to experience His provision. Rising to that invitation requires courage, but He won’t abandon us.

Case in point: He led me through months of unemployment to tutor about new opportunities, with reflections about a medical mission trip to Outer Mongolia, as well as time teaching in a maximum-security prison. These unanticipated adventures honed my understanding of the Twenty-third Psalm:

“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”

In modern settings, God used my unemployment to illustrate this psalm about restoration. He helped me find peace in a time of upheaval and guided me toward re-discovery of a childhood dream -- one which had been placed on hold for decades for more “realistic” pursuits.

I learned that what I believed to be a curse was actually a blessing in disguise.

Employed By God: Benefits Packaged With Faith
By Tracy S. Deitz

Learn more about Tracy S. Deitz’s book, Employed By God: Benefits Packaged With Faith, from Pat W. Kirk’s review at For more information about author Tracy S. Deitz, go to her website at

You can order Employed By God: Benefits Packaged With Faith on Amazon.


Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.