Sunday, February 19, 2012

In the Spotlight: Isra from The Frugalette!

Welcome to the weekly series, “In the Spotlight,” on Susan Heim on Parenting! Each Sunday, I post a fun interview with a blogger so you can get to know her or him better. Isra from “The Frugalette” is this week’s featured blogger! If you’re a blogger and would like to be “in the spotlight,” please email me at smhparent [at] hotmail [dot] com with your name, blog name, and URL. Put “In the Spotlight” in the subject line. Now, here’s Isra from The Frugalette!

What was the last thing you regret buying?
The last thing I regret buying was a chocolate ganache cake. It’s my favorite cake I get from Trader Joe’s, but I’ve been trying to eat better, more fruits and water, less sugar and chocolate! It still tasted delicious, though!

If you could go back in time and have a conversation with yourself at 17, what would you tell yourself?
If I could back in time and have a conversation with myself at 17, I would definitely say, “Chin up and trust yourself.” It’s such an impressionable age, and I was so worried about fitting in. I started majoring in science and chemistry classes because that’s what everyone around me kept saying was important, but my heart was always in writing ... and so here I ended up in writing anyways!

What other country would you like to live in besides the United States (and why)?
I’d love to live in Costa Rica! I crave warm weather, fresh air and a slower, much slower pace of life. I love the water. It has a calming effect like no other, and I’d really love to be next to the water.

What do you think was the greatest invention ever in terms of making your life easier?
Since I’m a mom now, I would say a baby sling! I wore all three of my children for almost 2 years each. It was the only way I could get anything done in the house and keep the baby happy, too. Traveling was easier, colic was easier, nursing, it just helped in so many ways, and for me was the only baby must-have item!

What do people say you’re really good at?
Writing! Since I was 12 years old, I’ve been told from all sorts of people my writing is clear and thoughtful. I enjoy writing in a way that helps explain seemingly difficult material in an easy, step-by-step fashion. Another reason I wish I had listened to my heart at a young age and started with writing from the beginning instead of waiting so long!

What do you like and/or dislike about where you live?
I live in Cambridge, MA, just 10 minutes from Boston. There are so many things I like about living here! It’s a college town. Boston has the highest concentration of colleges in the nation. Being around the education and intellect is inspiring. The only thing I don’t like is the unpredictable weather. Boston is famous for going through every season in one day!

Are you a “dog person,” “cat person,” or both?
I’m definitely a cat person! I grew up with cats my whole life despite having horrible allergies. We live in a small city apartment now so no room for pets, but maybe one day.

Is parenting easier or more difficult than you thought it would be?
Parenting is 100 times harder than I thought it would be! The physical, emotional and mental toll is overwhelming at times! The amazing thing about parenting, though, is how strong and resilient I’ve become. It’s amazing how much I can get done in one day, on very little sleep!

The Frugalette Button

About me:
Hi! I’m Isra from The Frugalette, and my motto is “Easy Saving, Easier Living.” I started blogging in June 2011 after I became runner-up in the All You Grocery Challenge and was featured in their magazine HERE. I started blogging to track my progress in the challenge and found my true passion come together: writing and saving! My blog is a content-rich blog about ways to save. I have a popular feature called What? No Coupons! for those who want easy ways to save without clipping coupons. I also challenge myself every week to get as many products in one deal using only $5 out-of-pocket, called $5 Drugstore Deals. It’s the only “deal post” you’ll find on the site. I’m not a deal blog, so don’t be disappointed if you don’t find deals on the blog! But by far, I have the most fun on my Facebook page. Just silly status updates, the way I remember Facebook in the good ol’ days! I’d love for you to check out my blog, send me an email, or stop by and say “hi” on Facebook!

Blog: The Frugalette


  1. I LOVE this Spotlight idea!!! So nice getting to know the blogger from The Frugalette better! Didn't even know she lived so close to me (I am in RI)!~ Thanks for sharing this great interview/post.

  2. I love this spotlight - I think that really shows bloggers as people not as a mask behind the website

  3. I love learning about new blogs to follow so a spotlight is a great idea. I already know about the Frugalette though, great blog.

  4. Great interview questions! Nice to get to know Isra a bit more :)


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.