Sunday, January 29, 2012

In the Spotlight: LaVonne of Long Wait for Isabella

Welcome to the new series on Susan Heim on Parenting called “In the Spotlight”! Each Sunday I’ll be posting an interview with a blogger so you can get to know her or him better. LaVonne from “Long Wait for Isabella” is this week’s featured blogger! If you’d like to be included in this feature, please email me at smhparent [at] hotmail [dot] com with your name, blog name, and URL. Put “In the Spotlight” in the subject line. Now, here’s LaVonne from Long Wait for Isabella!

What are the best and worst things about being a parent?
The best thing about being a parent to me is the immense and immediate love you feel for your child when they are born (even before, of course). It has enabled me to get just a small glimpse of how much God must love me. The worst thing about being a parent is realizing your own inadequacies. (Maybe that is a good thing though, right?) I pray for patience and love every day!

What would be your idea of a dream vacation?
For Christmas of 2010, we went to Oahu and had a great time. It was busy, though. We planned a lot of fun activities. But I realized the most fun we had was when we simply played on the beach in the sand and ocean. So my new dream vacation is to go back to Hawaii and visit the island of Kauai and just relax on the beach the entire time.

What talent do you wish you had and why?
I really wish I could be more crafty. I know it just takes practice, but it also takes time. I wish I just had the talent already, without all the practice. (That sounds lazy, doesn’t it?) What I really want is to know how to sew well. I dream of things I could sew.

What are your favorite pizza toppings?
I am a simple woman. Give me cheese and olives, and I am happy.

If someone offered you $1,000 to eat an earthworm, would you do it?
This is such a funny question because we recently visited the Insectarium in New Orleans, where they served bugs to eat. My husband tried the Chocolate Chip with Crickets Cookies, but I wouldn’t. He asked if I would try it for $100. I emphatically told him no. He laughed and said, “You’d better!” So would I eat an earthworm for $1,000? No way! And my husband, I am sure, would not be happy with that answer.

What has been the most memorable day of your life so far?
I know I should say my wedding. That was a very memorable day. But it went by in a blur and was kind of stressful. The day I gave birth was amazing! Truly. I gave birth naturally at a Birth Center with a midwife, and it was an awesome experience. Growing that baby in my belly and then seeing her for the first time -- unbelievable!

What book has influenced you the most?
The Bible has influenced me the most. When I turned 20 and was thinking about marrying my boyfriend (my now husband), I realized that for our relationship to work, I need God to be a part of it. The Bible has radically changed my life from that point on. My husband and I are going to celebrate our 13th anniversary this year, and he is now an ordained minister.

What food would you find difficult to give up if you were stranded on a desert island?
Chocolate -- do I have to say anything else?

What movies have made you cry?
The Notebook -- I saw this one three times in the theater and bawled like a baby every time.
Toy Story 3 -- It always makes me cry, even though I know what happens, and it is just a silly kids’ movie.

Long Wait for Isabella

About LaVonne:
LaVonne Long is the author of Long Wait for Isabella. Traveling on the road eight months out of the year for her husband’s job is never dull. You will find many posts on her blog about parenting a preschooler and traveling. She works part-time as her husband’s secretary, loves blogging, social media, organic, natural and frugal living. You can find LaVonne at:


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Susan! I am going to promote it on Google+, FB and Twitter :)

    Enjoy your week!


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.