Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Virtual Tour: Unfinished, by Suzanne Gravelle

This blog is a stop on the virtual tour for Unfinished, by Suzanne Gravelle! Suzanne has an interesting story about how she tackled a major crisis in her life. Many people have said they would like to pack it all in and hit the road. Suzanne actually did that -- she sold her house, left her job, packed her bags and hit the road. Now she wants to share what prompted her to do this and how it’s working out so far. She’s working on the sequel to Unfinished, which is aptly called Finished.

Unfinished is a true story of a woman who experienced such a profound awakening that she could no longer live the same way, the same life she was living just one week before. She could no longer ignore the woman who was screaming to be set free from the ties that bind her to a life she no longer desired or recognized. The transformation to become the woman she really wanted to be has propelled her upon the most remarkable self-discovery journey of her life. She sold her home, gave up her career, kissed her children, grandchildren and friends good-bye, got into her vehicle and just drove away … ALONE. Where was she going? Thirty-thousand kilometers later, she finds herself in the most unlikely place to try to piece her life together, trying to make sense of the constant feeling of being Unfinished.

Following is a note from Suzanne and a sneak peek at her second book, Finished.

The following words came across my Facebook page a few weeks ago, and they sum up not just what mothers feel, but fathers and grandparents, too. I do not know the author, but I would like to know because I would like to use it in the book I am currently writing titled Finished, in a chapter called Single Parenting.

A mom thinks about her kids, even if they're not with her.
A mom loves her kids in a way that they will never understand until they have kids of their own.
A mom will be there for her kids when no one else will.
A mom loves her kids even when they neglect and hurt her.
A mom will catch a grenade, take a bullet, and stand in front of a train, and ask God to take her instead of her child.

The following is a preview from the chapter, Single Parenting, from the second book authored by Suzanne Gravelle, Finished, which will be released in March 2012 and is available now for pre-order on Amazon.com.

I spent many hours in the weeks leading up to me leaving with them, listening to them and their fears of being without me for an unknown period of time. In the past, they always knew that if I was away, I was coming home, but this was different.

It did not take long for them to come to terms with the idea, and it actually became a “very cool adventure” to them. I heard Nick say that to one of his friends.

I knew they could look after themselves, and I believed with all my heart that the skills they have been taught would see them through any crisis, and the communication devices we have and use make it seem as if we are never far away. Text, cell phone, e-mail, Skype, my children and grandchildren … they are never far from me.

Now almost two years after leaving them, and after going home for a few weeks in the summer of 2011 after not seeing them for 13 months, I got to see firsthand how they have grown and how they put into practice the skills they naturally have and the ones they have learned from me.

They still have roofs over their head, they are all still working, and none of them had lost any weight so I knew they were feeding themselves. I was overwhelmed with pride how well they looked, and how they took their own lives and made warm, comfortable homes for themselves. It did not come easy at first, but they got through it. And they each said to me, “We had no choice.”

It’s true; my children had no choice but to stand on their own two feet. But I would never have left them if I did not know beyond a shadow of a doubt they were ready. They have always known I was not interested in having my adult children living with me, not because I didn’t like them -- I love them! They know I think they are the three most amazing people on the planet; it was because my life was changing, too.

I wanted a grown-up life, a woman’s life, but most of all, more than anything … I needed to know that should anything happen to me, they knew how to look after themselves. Being a single parent and not having support from family close by, there was always that fear … what if I got sick, injured or worse, what if I died?

About Suzanne Gravelle

Suzanne Gravelle is forty-nine years old and has three children and two grandchildren who live in Nova Scotia. At the time this book goes to print, she is single and homeless by choice, still traveling, seeking that place of comfort she will eventually call home. She spent most of her life living in Nova Scotia, but her formidable years, aged 10-25, were spent living on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. She resigned as a Real Estate Agent in Nova Scotia to embark upon this most incredible journey, driving, exploring Canada and writing this book. To read Suzanne’s extended bio, visit http://bookpromotionservices.com/2011/11/10/suzanne-gravelle-bio/.

Suzanne’s Links

To order your copy of Unfinished by Suzanne Gravelle:
www.amazon.com/Unfinished-Suzanne-Gravelle/dp/192700506X

Follow her journey on her blog:
http://ontourwithsuzanne.blogspot.com

Hear Suzanne’s radio program on Wednesday mornings 10am EST:
http://Blogtalkradio.com/ontourwithsuzanne

Join her on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Unfinshed-by-Suzanne-Gravelle/188575424533413

Follow her on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/tourwithsuzanne

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan -- Thank you for sharing this excerpt from Suzanne's upcoming book. The first book - Unfinished is available now and the second book is scheduled for release in March 2012. And thank you for including Suzanne's links in your post :)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.