Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Third Thursday Thoughts: Never Alone


Welcome to another edition of Third Thursday Thoughts, brought to you by the wonderful people at Hearts at Home! Every third Thursday of the month, we’ll be sharing our thoughts on the topic of the month. This month’s topic: When did you realize that you weren’t alone on this journey called Motherhood? Here’s my story, which appears in the new book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Tough Times:

Loneliness engulfed me as I waved goodbye to my parents. They had spent the past few days helping my children and I move into our apartment, but now they were heading back to their home, a two-hour drive away. I’d left my husband and the first house I’d ever owned to move into a small two-bedroom apartment with my sons, ages four and one. With my parents’ departure, the frightening reality hit that I was solely responsible for these little boys and our survival.

My younger son was napping in his crib, and my other son headed out to the screened-in porch in the back of our second-floor apartment. He was excited to see all the ducks swimming in the small lake behind us, but all I could see was despair. I flung myself onto my bed and sobbed my heart out to God, praying for the courage to face the daunting future ahead of me.

After the tears had subsided somewhat, I heard my son speaking to someone. “My name is Dylan,” I heard him say. “What’s your name?” A female voice responded, and I realized that she must be walking on the ground below. I couldn’t hear her response, but my son told her, “I just moved here with my mom and my brother. Where do you live?”

Their conversation continued for a short while, and then it grew quiet. I called Dylan into my bedroom to ask who he had been talking to. “It’s a really nice lady, Mommy. She lives right below us, and she has a girl named Jenny who’s the same age as me! She said that we can play together anytime.”

In the years to come, we became good friends with Jenny and her single mom, Sherry. We took care of each other’s children and cats, played with our kids at the park together, and shared the challenges of single parenting. One day, it hit me that God had not left me alone. He’d sent my friendly little boy out to the balcony to bring us some friends. And he’d given me the strength and courage I needed to provide a good life for my family.


So, what about you? Do you remember a time when you realized you weren’t alone on your mothering journey? I’d love to hear about it. Feel free to visit the other blogs participating in Third Thursday Thoughts for inspiration! [Email subscribers, please click on the title of this post to view the linky online.]





DISCLOSURE: All Hearts at Home bloggers will be entered into a monthly drawing to win a book. No financial compensation has been provided.

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear and read stories like this; God has everything orchestrated perfectly, even in our deepest despair. Sometimes it's hard to see them in the midst of our troubles, but to use a cliche: "Hindsight is 20/20!"

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.