Thursday, November 17, 2011

Third Thursday Thoughts: Pinching Pennies

Welcome to another edition of Third Thursday Thoughts, brought to you by the wonderful people at Hearts at Home! Every third Thursday of the month, we’ll be sharing our thoughts on the topic of the month. This month’s topic: Share 5 “things” you’ve given up or are living without as a family so that you can have more. Here’s my list:

Bigger house: My dream has always been to have a beautiful family home. But with the economy being poor and unemployment so high, we haven’t wanted to take the risk of assuming a high mortgage. Instead, we live in a small duplex. We own both sides and rent out the other side. It’s almost paid off and our payment is low. Sometimes, I get very discouraged that I’ll never have my “dream home,” and I get tired of living in such a small space, but I know it’s probably wise to stay here for the time being.

New car: My minivan is seven years old and my husband’s truck is a hand-me-down from his dad. Our cars may not be pretty, but they’re paid off, which is a big “plus” for our budget.

Eating out: We rarely ever eat out. It’s just too costly with kids (or even without them!). Our town is full of restaurants that I’ve never been to! But I don’t mind. Most of the time, home-cooked tastes better anyway!

Services: We live in an affluent area, and many families have housecleaners, regular spa appointments, car detailers, lawn and pool services, nannies, pet walkers, gym memberships, and more. We just don’t live like that. I think the last manicure I had was in 1986. We clean our own house and cars, and my husband found a no-frills gym for $12 a month.

Private school: There are plenty of private schools in our area, but our public schools are good and our children are doing well.

So, what about you? Have you given up some luxuries so that you can stay financially afloat? Please share them in the comments below. And visit some of the other blogs in the linky below that are also participating in this hop!

DISCLOSURE: All Hearts at Home bloggers will be entered into a monthly drawing to win a book. No financial compensation has been provided.


  1. I had to laugh when I read your comment about the mini van. My boys got in the car after school the other day and said, "Mom, you need a new car - this one is old!". I would LOVE to buy a new car - so I told them that was a great idea - they'd just need to go get a job to make the payments. Suddenly they were okay with our 8-year-old, paid off ride :o)Nothing like a little perspetive right? Hee, hee, hee...

  2. Susan,

    Living in Gig Harbor we too have many services that those would never think of living without. I have had many strange looks when I have declared I do not use any of them.. I love it!

    a latte of blessings & giggles,
    Cup of Joe with Jeanie

  3. I think I'd like to be your neighbor Susan. ;) And then we could houseclean together, since we both forgo that extra that lots of other homes indulge in. Our public school is a great choice for our kids, too, and it's much easier on our wallet. It has strengthened their faith and left us with more to give financially.

    Blessings from the HAH blog hop,


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.