Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Q&A with S. B. Sebrick, Author of the New YA/Fantasy Novel, “Decoy”

What is this book about?

Decoy is a young adult fantasy adventure about an assassin-in-training named Kaltor. He and his friends accidentally release a demon from the Abyss itself and must put their new skills to the test against it, before their beloved city of Shaylis falls to the demon’s wrath. More importantly, it’s a story of Kaltor’s progression from boy to man as he learns to accept his own limits and rely on others to accomplish things he can’t do alone.

How did you get the idea for this book?

It’s honestly pretty tough to pin down a single source that inspired this novel. I’ve been toying with these characters in this world since I was thirteen. Decoy could be thought of as a mixture between the movies “The Mummy Returns” and “The Chronicles of Riddick.” When it comes to other fantasy writers, I’ve always been impressed with the work of J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, who do an excellent job of creating new, detailed worlds to fully immerse their readers into.

Is this your first book?

Yes, Decoy is the first book I’ve written and put up for sale. I have another couple projects up my sleeve as well, once I finish this series.

When did you start writing? Do you have any advice for beginning writers?

I’ve been interested in creating other worlds and stories ever since I was playing with Legos at ten years old, so I guess writing Young Adult Fantasy was just a natural way for that fascination to evolve into something a bit more lucrative. I advise any beginning writers out there to check out Dean Wesley Smith’s blog about “Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing.” It changed everything I understood as “typical” in the writing and publishing worlds, and is the reason I took the self-publishing “plunge” in the first place.

Why did you decide to write a book for young adults?

I love writing Epic Fantasy. The ability to create a completely new, detailed world to immerse myself and my readers into is a fantastic experience every time. I particularly chose to focus on the Young Adult market because I have a lot of cousins and friends in that age group, so I wanted to create something they could enjoy.

Do you plan a sequel or future books?

Well, Decoy is part of a series so I’m obviously working on book #2 at the moment. I have some more characters in this same world I want to explore, but they aren’t connected to Kaltor at all. I will lengthen their stories into a series as well when enough readers take interest.

Do you have a website? How can we order this book? Where can we find you?

I have accounts on Facebook and Twitter. Just look up S. B. Sebrick. I have a blog on my website at www.sbsebrick.wordpress.com where Kaltor and I discuss various aspects of life when we aren’t arguing about the differences between our cultures. Decoy is for sale at Amazon and Barnes & Noble for $3.99. Just look up S. B. Sebrick, and that’ll take you right to it.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.