1. Secure all points of entry to your home, including dead-bolting doors, windows, sliding glass doors and garage/shed doors to bolster your home’s security. If you have an alarm system in place, be sure it is activated before departing. Leaving just one of these areas open or unlocked can lead to theft.
2. Keep your home active. Whether you’ve hired a dog walker or a neighbor is headed over to water plants and pick up deliveries, ensuring your home still appears to have people coming and going regularly can deter thieves. Store your house key in a key safe such as the Master Lock 5400D Key Safe to allow these individuals to easily enter and exit your home, locking it up as they leave. Make sure these approved visitors know the code to your home alarm system, if applicable, so they can deactivate it and reset it after finishing their tasks. If you do not have anyone visiting your property while you’re away, consider placing lights on a timer and stopping your mail delivery by visiting www.usps.com.
luggage lock will help keep your possessions safe while in transit and allow you to move through security lines with ease.
4. Secure important items in your room. Whether you’re staying in a hotel, cabin or resort, it’s important to lock up valuables when not in your room. A secure document storage or cash box will help ensure your passport, traveler’s checks, cash and jewelry safe while you and your family enjoy the sights and sounds of your destination. If you’re taking your small valuables out and about with you, consider a Master Lock 5900D Safe Space to keep your belongings secure while you’re on the go.
5. Create an emergency plan. It’s no doubt you will have several activities planned throughout the course of your vacation. In the event that a member of your family becomes separated from your group while out and about, each individual should have a list of important numbers as well as a plan detailing how to reconnect with the group.
For more information on security solutions, please visit Master Lock’s website at www.masterlock.com or the Master Lock Facebook page at www.facebook.com/masterlock. Visit www.masterlockvault.com to utilize the free, secure online data storage application and download a smart phone app for easy access on the go -- an ideal place to keep important bank account and other information for emergencies while on vacation.
Thanks to Master Lock, one lucky winner will receive a Master Lock Key Safe! Features:
• Holds up to 5 keys for house or car in a convenient location for regular use
• Portable, over-the-door knob mount for convenience
• Set-your-own 4-digit combination for keyless convenience and increased security
• 3-1/4" (83mm) wide durable metal construction
• Shutter door protects combination dials from weather, dirt and grime
• Molded body and vinyl coated shackle prevent scratching
Everyone knows that leaving an extra key under the doormat or a nearby rock is the first place that thieves will look! This is an awesome way to have access to extra keys without making it easy for others to get to them.
MANDATORY ENTRY: To enter, visit www.masterlock.com and check out all of the terrific security products by Master Lock. Leave a comment on this post with the name of another product that your family would find useful! You must do this to enter the giveaway.
After fulfilling the mandatory entry above, you can earn optional, additional entries if you:
- Like Master Lock on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Follow @ParentingAuthor on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet up to 3x a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet) Tweet
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, Google Friend Connect and/or Kindle. Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 4 entries)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Enter another current giveaway on Susan Heim on Parenting. (1 entry per giveaway entered)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Friday, September 9, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winner must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner: Natalie A.!
DISCLOSURE: I received a product sample as a thank-you for sharing this information, but no financial compensation was provided.