Monday, July 18, 2011

Straight Talk About Heavy Periods

Periods. As a writer and editor, I’m usually referring to punctuation when I mention periods, but today I’m putting on my female cap and writing about the menstrual form! It’s not a subject that comes up very often, but it is a huge factor in many women’s lives. I don’t know any woman who looks forward to dealing with her period, and that’s especially true when she experiences heavy bleeding each month. The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve had to deal with this issue. One day a month, I nervously check my calendar and pray that I don’t have to leave the house much that day because I’d rather stay close to my private bathroom and feminine products. It really limits my life!

A survey by Mom Central Consulting revealed that 92% percent of respondents with heavy monthly bleeding are frustrated by their condition, and more than two-thirds of them feel that their periods control them. Sadly, more than 75% of them didn’t realize that help is available and less than half of them have spoken to their OB/GYN about their heavy periods. Fortunately, there’s a terrific online resource for information about heavy monthly bleeding, which affects millions of women like me. has articles like the ones below about menorrhagia -- the scientific term for heavy monthly bleeding.


Understanding Heavy Monthly Bleeding: The Latest on Lighter Periods

Treatment Options for Heavy Monthly Bleeding


What causes heavy periods?

I have very heavy periods. How can I tell if this is normal or not?

How can I prepare to talk with my health care provider about my heavy periods so I can make the most of my appointment?

If you have heavy monthly bleeding that is really interfering with your everyday activities, check out the information at This may give you the words and confidence you seek to speak with your doctor about this sensitive issue. Treatment options are available but will vary based on your personal health history, your lifestyle and your reproductive stage. The Mom Central Consulting survey mentioned above revealed that 80% of respondents felt more empowered to have a discussion with their health care professional about their heavy periods when they researched additional information online. is a great place to start.

DISCLOSURE: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Ferring Pharmaceuticals and received a promotional item to facilitate my review.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you covering this topic, Susan. This also affects my life in a big way and through my own research I am realizing that not only are lifestyle and diet factors that greatly influence this condition, but also something known as 'estrogen dominance' which is an important part of the big picture. Stress (causing hormonal imbalance) is one of the biggest culprits.


Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.