Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Children’s Book Review and Giveaway: The Wild Adventures of Eli Johnson & Curly Bill, by Dan Wright and Bill Wright
Getting boys to read can be challenging. I’ve been battling my boys all summer to pick up a book! So, it’s important to find books on subjects that appeal to boys. I was recently sent a copy of The Wild Adventures of Eli Johnson & Curly Bill, by father/son writers Dan and Bill Wright. This is an old-fashioned Wild West tale that takes place in the mid-1800s when many people headed West in the quest for adventure. In this story, Eli Johnson takes off from Virginia to follow his dreams. Along the way, he encounters bandits, bears, and Indians! Fortunately, Eli Johnson meets up with Curly Bill, who becomes a good friend and teaches Eli how to survive in the untamed outdoors.
This book can jumpstart discussions with kids about history, Native Americans, wilderness survival, friendship, and much more. Short chapters and fun illustrations also help to keep boys’ interest. When I showed it to one of my sons, he really enjoyed looking at the pictures. Then he got even more excited when he found that each chapter was less than two pages! To him, that’s a manageable piece of reading, and I really think the subject matter will capture his interest, too. The cover says “Book 1,” so I’m sure we can look forward to more adventures with Eli Johnson and Curly Bill!
One lucky winner will receive a copy of The Wild Adventures of Eli Johnson & Curly Bill! To enter, leave a comment sharing the name of your favorite Wild West-themed book or movie! You must do this to enter the giveaway.
After fulfilling the mandatory entry above, you can earn optional, additional entries if you:
- Follow @ParentingAuthor on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet up to 3x a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, Google Friend Connect and/or Kindle. Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 4 entries)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Enter another current giveaway on Susan Heim on Parenting. (1 entry per giveaway entered)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Thursday, July 28, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winner must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner: Shelly!
DISCLOSURE: Thank you to the authors for providing a complimentary book for this review. I was not financially compensated for this review, and all opinions are 100% mine. The Amazon affiliate links are also mine.