I really like that a lot of their content comes from other girls. Often, kids pay more heed to what their peers are saying than what adults tell them. It’s also comforting for tweens to find out that other girls are going through the same things they are and have the same questions. Discovery Girls even features “real girls” on their covers, not air-brushed celebrities who project an unrealistic image of beauty.
I had the opportunity to look through some recent issues of Discovery Girls, and they covered topics such as acne, teasing, friendship, embarrassing moments, lying and much more! The stories are presented in a way that appeals to young people, with lots of color, graphics, and quizzes, and minimal advertising. Articles range from the serious to the goofy, like Fun Pet Facts!
Discovery Girls even publishes books called Fab Girls Guides! Topics include Getting Through Tough Times, Friendship Hardship, Sticky Situations, and Getting Your Questions Answered. I have a copy of Fab Girls Guide to Getting Through Tough Times. It steers girls through issues related to friendship (rejection, bullying, etc.), family hardship (blended families, job loss, etc.), loss (crime, losing a parent, etc.), and other “dark times” (making amends, living with disability, etc.). It features personal stories from other teens and age-appropriate advice on getting through difficult times.
If you have a daughter, granddaughter or niece between the ages of 8 and 13, I highly recommend that you check out the Discovery Girls magazines and books. You can also visit the Discovery Girls website at http://discoverygirls.com/.
Thanks to Discovery Girls, one lucky winner will receive a prize pack worth $70, which includes:
1) a one-year subscription to Discovery Girls magazine (6 issues; a $20 value)
2) 1 set of the Fab Girls Guides books by Discovery Girls (a $40 value)
3) 1 copy of the Collector’s Edition with 2 free gifts (a $10 value)
MANDATORY ENTRY: Simply leave a comment on this post sharing with whom you’d love to share Discovery Girls if you win! (No names are necessary; just “my daughter,” etc. is fine!)
After fulfilling the mandatory entry above, you can earn optional, additional entries if you:
- Follow @DGmagazine and @ParentingAuthor on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet up to 3x a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet) Sample tweet: Tween Magazine #Giveaway: Discovery Girls! 1-year subscription, special edition & 4 Fab Girls Guides! http://tinyurl.com/3f2ro2o @DGmagazine 7/13
- Like Discovery Girls on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, Google Friend Connect and/or Kindle. Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 4 entries)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Enter another current giveaway on Susan Heim on Parenting. (1 entry per giveaway entered)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Wednesday, July 13, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winner must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US and Canadian residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Marjorie!
DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Discovery Girls for providing product samples for this review and giveaway. I was not compensated for this review and all opinions are 100% mine.