Tuesday, June 14, 2011
1. (True/False) Your belt color should match the color of your shoes.
2. (True/False) It’s always best to puncture a blister rather than keeping it intact.
3. (True/False) A woman cannot get pregnant while she is having her menstrual period.
1. True, unless your belt is made up of many colors -- which is a style you probably should avoid!
2. False. Try not to break a blister unless it is too painful, interferes with walking or working with your hands. To protect blisters -- or in case they puncture -- cover them with adhesive bandages or gauze pads.
3. False. Be aware as well that sperm can live for up to five days in a woman’s body.
These are just a few of the many questions posed to men in The Man Test: Hundreds of Questions to Test Everything a Real Man Should Know, by Robert Dodenhoff. (Many of the questions are multiple choice, but I selected T/F examples for the sake of brevity.) As the author notes in the Introduction, this is “an essential and comprehensive guide containing the information every man should learn and master.” Topics include: Manners and Etiquette; Career and Employment; Home Renting and Buying; Finance and Negotiation; Transportation; Urban and Outdoor Survival; Domestic Skills; Home Maintenance; Health, Nutrition, and Lifestyle.
I showed this book to my husband, and he felt it was a good manual for young men, especially those who are getting out of school and entering the “real world” for the first time. After all, they’ll need to learn how to do their own laundry (if they’re not doing it already), groom themselves properly, prepare a resume, purchase a car, and much more. This book isn’t quite as comprehensive as the Introduction says, but it’s a good basis for guys to figure out the areas in which they may be lacking knowledge and then seek it out.
The Man Test would also make a great gift for Father’s Day! I can see the family’s male relatives gathered around a table, reading the questions to each other to see who really qualifies as a “real man”! This is a unique and easy-to-read book that will stimulate discussion and entertain the whole family.
DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Sourcebooks for providing a product for this review. I was not compensated for this review and all opinions are 100% mine. The Amazon affiliate links in this post are mine.