• T.rex Footprint Pancakes -- with adult help, children shape the batter into the large three-toed feet of a Tyrannosaurus.
• Paleontologist Pancakes -- make small pancakes, then stack them up 5 or 6 high (maybe putting apple sauce or sour cream between them), and hiding “fossils” between the layers -- the fossils being pieces of strawberry, banana slices, chocolate chips, and so on.
• Stegosaurus Smoothie -- a colorful, healthy fruit smoothie made with a blend of yogurt, a frozen banana, and any other fruit you wish. Serve it on a dish with a rim. In the middle of the dish, place a line of triangular fruit pieces, such as pineapple, apples, or cantaloupe. These little fruity triangles will look like the plates on a stegosaurus’ back.
• Triceratops Eggs -- scrambled eggs that have “horns” sticking out of them -- made of breadsticks.
If your child is old enough, he or she can write and design the menu to announce all the tasty food you will be serving. (You can help your younger ones do the writing, of course!) And before preparing any food, have a discussion about safety in the kitchen. What are some jobs that are good for kids to do? What jobs should be handled by an adult?
You can also show your child a clip from Gilbert the Junior Conductor in which the Pteranadon Family enjoys eating breakfast on the Dinosaur Train! Link: www.pbs.org/parents/dinosaurtrain/activities/artscraftscooking/dinobreakfast.html.
In the afternoon, head out on a nature hike! Explain to your kids that paleontologists sometimes have to explore remote areas, so ask kids to create a mix of healthy nuts, dried fruit, and maybe dried cereal to make Dad’s Favorite Trail Mix to give them energy for the road!
IMPORTANT: Before serving any of these dishes, make sure that no one is allergic to any of the ingredients, or should not eat particular foods because of a family dietary practice, such as vegetarianism.
I hope you and your kids have had a chance to check out Jim Henson’s Dinosaur Train show on PBS Kids. (See the links below for more information.) And have fun making a Dino Breakfast this Father’s Day!
Dinosaur Train on PBS: http://pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain/
The Jim Henson Company: www.henson.com
Pressman Toy: http://Pressmantoy.com
One lucky family will win the Dinosaur Train All Aboard Game pictured and described above. To enter, leave a comment sharing what you’ll be having for breakfast on Father’s Day! You must do this to enter the giveaway.
After completing the mandatory entry above, you can earn optional, additional entries when you... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Follow Henson Parents (@hensonparents) and Susan Heim on Parenting (@ParentingAuthor) on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet up to three times each day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Like The Jim Henson Company on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Follow Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Enter another current giveaway on Susan Heim on Parenting. (1 entry per giveaway)
- Post about this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Wednesday, June 22, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, tamiv!
DISCLOSURE: No products or compensation were exchanged for this post.