The Wayfinder is a story about a young man who possesses the ability to locate anything. Using what is called “The Finding,” the protagonist, Win, is able to find anything that he can picture in his mind. While simple, this is an original take on the use of magic and is rather interesting in comparison to other fantasy novels, which tend to portray magic in a predictable way. Set in a fantasy world, the author provides hints of a grand setting and universe, but the story all takes place within only a short distance of Win’s hometown.
The plot line centers around Win and a telepathic dog, Lady Kala, going on a quest to find a magical well to cure the nation from a plague. They travel through some interesting places, such as a village where the residents magically enslave wolves to hunt for them. The story is a good length and doesn’t leave the reader wading through unimportant backstory.
My only complaint about the story is a subplot that draws from the story as a whole. Win is dealing with the grief and depression from the loss of a loved one that was partially his fault. While I generally would support any idea that gives a character more depth or emotion, Win’s constant internal conflict sometimes makes him come off as mopey and annoying.
On the whole, I recommend The Wayfinder. It’s a great way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Book website: www.thewayfinder.com
Author’s website, Fiction Notes: www.darcypattison.com
[Email subscribers, please click on the title of this post to view the video online.]
One lucky person will win a paperback copy of The Wayfinder, by Darcy Pattison. To enter, leave a comment on this post sharing the title of your favorite fantasy or sci-fi book. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
After fulfilling the mandatory entry above, you can earn optional, additional entries if you:
- Follow @FictionNotes and @ParentingAuthor on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet up to 3x a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Like Darcy Pattison on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, Google Friend Connect and/or Kindle. Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 4 entries)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Enter another current giveaway on Susan Heim on Parenting. (1 entry per giveaway entered)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Tuesday, July 12, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winner must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner: Anonymous (firstname.lastname@example.org).
DISCLOSURE: Thank you to the author for providing product samples for this review and giveaway. The reviewer was not compensated for this review in any way and all opinions are 100% those of the reviewer. Amazon affiliate links belong to the blog owner.