Elmer’s has also partnered with Scientific Explorer to help show kids how fun science -- and even science fair presentations -- can be! In fact, Scientific Explorer has just launched a Virtual Science Fair online! Please watch this video, which tells you all about this exciting initiative. As you’ll learn, kids, parents, and teachers are encouraged to send in videos that show how they learn and experience science, inside and outside the classroom. Each month, one video will be showcased on the Virtual Science Fair site and the winner will receive a $50 gift card and free Scientific Explorer products!
[Email subscribers, please click on the title of this post to view the video online.]
Scientific Explorer also has some amazing science kits that are sure to get kids excited about science and inspire them to explore it more. My family was given the opportunity to try out Scientific Explorer’s Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit!
I can see why they call it “ultimate” because there are actually 13 “recipes” for growing various types of crystals, and just about all of the supplies you need are included. For our first project, my children chose to make the Atomic Glow Geode. They liked the idea that it glows in the dark! First, we used plaster to create the geode.
The geode was also created with zinc sulfide (“glow powder”) to make it glow! (You’ll have to take my word for it since my camera isn’t sophisticated enough to show the real thing.) Then we immersed the geode into a special solution so it would begin to grow crystals.
To my children’s delight, after about a week, they were able to see crystals!
My son, Austen, brought out a large crystal that he had bought at a rock shop, and compared it to the smaller crystals he had grown. He was amazed to see that they looked the same! This was a really fun project, and I encourage you to check out the other amazing science kits from Scientific Explorer. There’s a Lava Blasting Volcano Kit, a Meteor Rocket Kit, and much more!
And while you’re exploring these kits, get out the video camera and submit your footage to the Virtual Science Fair!
One lucky winner will receive an amazing Science Fair Prize Package courtesy of Elmer’s and Scientific Explorer. This package includes:
- Scientific Explorer’s Lava Blasting Volcano Kit or Mythbusters Weird World of Water -- to keep kids engaged with science outside the classroom and continue the education at home
- Elmer’s Foam Board -- perfect for showcasing a science fair project
- Elmer’s Project Popperz® accessories -- cool letters, shapes, borders and stencils to make your project stand out
MANDATORY ENTRY: To enter, visit www.scientificexplorer.com and look around. Then leave a comment on this post with the name of another kit that you’d like to explore that isn’t mentioned in this review. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries when you... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Follow Scientific Explorer (@sciexplorer) and Elmer’s (@Elmers) on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway with a link to this post. You may tweet up to 3x each day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Like Elmer’s on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Follow Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Post about this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Tuesday, April 5, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Amberpebs!
DISCLOSURE: I received complimentary science fair project supplies from Elmer's and a science kit from Scientific Explorer to facilitate my candid review. No financial compensation was provided.