Sunday, February 13, 2011

Children’s Book Review: The Case of the Missing Mountain, by Kim Jones

When my review copy of The Case of the Missing Mountain, by Kim Jones arrived, my boys pounced on it right away and started doing the word find puzzles! They were overjoyed to find several of them, plus plenty of other fun things to do in this terrific educational activity book. The Case of the Missing Mountain encourages kids to become “Mystery Rangers” as they work puzzles and solve clues related to the Mount St. Helens eruption in 1980. Here’s a video peek at this book:



[Email subscribers, please click on the title of this post to view the video online.]

When I was reading parts of this book to my 7-year-old twins, one of them asked me, “Did you know about the volcano erupting, Mom?” I told them that this was a huge news event before they were born. They were amazed that the Mount St. Helens eruption happened in real life!

This book also has a Christian component. It shows how research into the Mount St. Helens eruption gives us insight into how rapidly life recovered after Noah’s Flood. The two events are compared and contrasted, and kids are encouraged to read the Bible to read more about Noah and the flood.

The Case of the Missing Mountain is a very fun blend of activities, science, detective work, and religion. I hope that Kim Jones plans many more Mystery Rangers books for kids!

Join author Kim Jones on Twitter and Facebook, and on her blog, The Nature Tour.




DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate my candid review. No financial compensation was provided. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission on sales made through the links in this post.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, Thanks so much for sharing your creative review! You are definitely a great wordsmyth! I loved your review! Love the question your twins asked you about Mt. St. Helens too! LOL! They sound like really fun kids! I do plan to write more books for this series. Thanks so much for taking the time to write the review and share it!

    P.S. I love your blog! You offer so many great deals and ideas here! (: Keep up the great work!

    In Christ,

    Kim Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared a link on facebook about your blog! http://www.facebook.com/thenaturetour

    I'm excited to share your blog with my friends! I've been reading it for a while now, and have really enjoyed it!

    Thanks again!

    Kim Jones

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.