In this book, Madeline and her friends travel to Washington, DC, for the annual Easter Egg Roll. They stay at the White House with their friend, Candle, who is the president’s daughter. Candle is very lonely because her parents are so busy, so she loves having the girls in her home. Through a little magic, they travel through the sky to see the sights of Washington before returning home after a wonderful visit to America!
Another interesting thing about Madeline at the White House is that it is written by John Bemelmans Marciano, who is the grandson of Madeline’s creator, Ludwig Bemelmans. It’s wonderful that his grandson has carried on with the tradition of writing and illustrating the Madeline series. In the following video, John Bemelmans Marciano shares the inspiration behind Madeline at the White House, which has a lot to do with his grandfather -- and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy!
[Email subscribers, please click on the title of this post to access the video online.]
Madeline at the White House is available on January 25, 2011, but you can pre-order it now at Amazon! You can also read more about Madeline books and their history, as well as find activities and Madeline merchandise on the Madeline website.
Three (3) lucky winners will receive a beautiful hardcover copy of the new book, Madeline at the White House! (Retail value $17.99 per book; giveaway courtesy of Penguin Group) To enter, visit the Madeline website and look around. Leave a comment on this post with something that you liked or learned about Madeline on the site. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries if you... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Follow Susan Heim on Parenting (@ParentingAuthor) on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You may tweet three times a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Like Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook and/or follow on Networked Blogs. (1 entry for each)
- Subscribe to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle. Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Follow Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Leave a comment with your GFC name. (1 entry)
- Place a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Post this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
Three winners will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Monday, January 24, 2011, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winners, Christina F., nightowl, and Shelly!
DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate this review. No financial compensation was provided. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission on sales made through the affiliate links in this post.