Monday, January 03, 2011

5 Things I Want My Sons to Know About Being a Successful Husband

Before I know it, my four sons will be married and have families of their own. And I’ve often wondered how I can shape them into the kind of men who have loving and lasting marriages. Following are a few things I’d like them to know…
  1. Swallow your pride and say, “I’m sorry.” It’s just two words, but they have a HUGE impact.
  2. If you want her to want you more, then know that “foreplay” starts way before you get in bed. Hold her hand. Touch her face. Tell her she’s beautiful. All day long. Don’t do this because you want something from her. Do it because she deserves it.
  3. Just because you take care of your family financially doesn’t mean you’re a good husband or father. How you treat your family is much more important. They’ll remember the good times they had with you, not the things you bought them.
  4. If you question or judge everything she does, she’ll soon start hiding things from you. Trust her, and let her be herself.
  5. Don’t call her “Mom.” Call her “Sweetheart” or “Darling” or some sort of pet name you have just for her.
So, ladies, can you add to this list? What advice would you share with our sons and young men about having a successful marriage?

(And if there are any guys out there reading this who would like to write a helpful guest post about what they want their daughters to know about being successful wives, just let me know!)

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I agree with the top 4.
    As for the #5, I honestly don't mind my hubby calling me 'Mommy' as I call him 'Daddy'. And we have other petnames.

    I too hope that my boys will become good husbands and good dads ... that they will become good people, great citizens of the world, and good at what they do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.