Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Book Review: The Pink Locker Society: Only Girls Allowed

When I was in upper elementary and junior high school, I had plenty of questions about “delicate” subjects, such as menstruation, boys, acne, and puberty. I think I read Judy Blume’s book, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, at least five times! Girls will always have questions about this very interesting time of life, but they often feel uncomfortable talking to their mothers about these topics. Wouldn’t it be great if there were a group of their peers available to answer their questions anonymously?

That’s the premise behind the new book series for middle-grade girls called The Pink Locker Society. In the first book, The Pink Locker Society: Only Girls Allowed, we meet eighth-graders Jemma, Kate, Piper and Bet, who each discover a pink door in the back of their locker that leads to a mysterious room! The girls learn that they have been inducted into The Pink Locker Society (PLS), a decades-old secret group that gives advice to other girls about the “PBBs” -- periods, bras, and boys!

At first, the girls are intimidated by their new job, in which they must research answers to questions submitted on the new PLS website. But as they realize how much their advice is helping their readers, they begin to get excited about the honor of being selected for the PLS. Unfortunately, trouble ensues. The PLS website is hacked, one of the girls is caught on camera coming out of her locker, and the principal learns about the society and wants to shut it down! How will the girls handle these threats to the PLS?

I really felt like I was back in junior high while reading this book! Jemma and her friends have all the same insecurities and crushes that I did (“Will I ever get my period?” “Does that boy like me?”). I can’t wait to see the fate of the PLS in Book #2!

The Pink Locker Society: Only Girls Allowed is the first of four books planned for this series. Author Debra Moffitt is the kids’ editor of KidsHealth.org, an extremely popular children’s health site. Girls can visit PinkLockerSociety.org to learn more about this book, read a chapter, take polls, ask questions, and more!




DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate my candid review. No other compensation was provided. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission on sales made through the Amazon link at left.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.