Wednesday, August 04, 2010
When Sally set out to begin eating a more healthy diet, she realized that her kids would most likely resist a menu heavy on salads, so she set out to make nutritious meals that would appeal to kids’ palates. Some of the delicious recipes she created include Chili Con Healthy, Healthiest-Ever Lasagna, and Ratatouille Chicken Tray Bake. Here’s her delicious recipe for BBQ Fruit Skewers:
Serve without the ice-cream for an everyday treat, but I’d save it for a treat and go for ice-cream with this dish every time! You’ll need a hot barbecue for this, or you can grill (broil) on a very high heat.
1 or 2 skewers each depending on how much fruit you add
1/3 cup Muscavado sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup orange juice
20-30 chunks or slices of ripe tropical fruits, such as strawberries, papayas, bananas, mangoes and pineapple
Fresh mint sprigs, to garnish (optional)
A small scoop of crème fraîche, probiotic low-fat yogurt or ice-cream, to serve (optional)
Wooden skewers, soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained
1.) Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
2.) Skewer the fruit on the wooden skewers, alternating fruits and placing 3-5 pieces on each.
3.) Dip each kebab in the orange juice, then sprinkle with the spiced sugar.
4.) Arrange the skewers on the hot barbecue and cook until nicely browned on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
5.) Garnish with mint leaves, (if using) and serve immediately.
The Secret Ingredient is a valuable resource for helping families to eat delicious meals that are also good for them! I encourage you to visit the following sites to learn more about this cookbook and healthy eating.
Sally Bee’s website: www.sally-bee.com
Sally Bee on Twitter: www.twitter.com/SallyBeelicious
Sally Bee on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Sallybeelicious/301145505055
One lucky winner will receive a copy of Sally Bee’s beautifully illustrated cookbook, The Secret Ingredient! To enter, go to www.sally-bee.com and leave a comment here with something you learned on the site. This first comment is mandatory to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries by... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting (@ParentingAuthor) and Sally Bee (@SallyBeelicious) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may tweet this giveaway twice a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (It’s easy to tweet this giveaway by using the buttons at the bottom of this post. 1 entry per tweet.)
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Liking Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Liking Sally Bee on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Wednesday, August 18, 2010, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US and Canadian residents.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Sable(atlmuzikfanzinc)!
DISCLOSURE: No compensation or products were exchanged for this review. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission for any sales made through the Amazon link above.