If your child is getting ready to go to school for the first time or preparing to go back to school after summer vacation, Super WHY’s literacy experts have some tips for what you can do as a parent to help your child acquire early reading skills while preparing for the start of school:
Visit the library or bookstore: Find books that start a dialogue about school to help get young children feeling comfortable and confident about this new experience. Read the books together and identify key words.
Practice going to school: Point out places that are familiar to your children on the way to school and encourage them to read or find letters on the signs as you pass -- even their school sign!
Tool up: While shopping for school supplies, read the list out loud and have kids spell out words like pencil or paper.
Create a cozy study space with your child: Before the school year even starts, set up an area together that is comfortable and quiet. This can also be a place to spend quality time reading.
Head over to http://pbskids.org/superwhy for super useful -- and fun! -- online content, activities, games and more designed to help parents engage kids in reading!
The all-new Super WHY DVD, "Attack of the Eraser: A Comic Book Adventure," is available just in time for the start of school with FOUR “super” reading-powered episodes, including “Attack of the Eraser,” “The Story of the Tooth Fairy,” “The Cookbook,” and “The Big Game!” Here’s your opportunity to win a copy! To enter, go to http://pbskids.org/superwhy, and then return here to leave a comment about something you liked on the site. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries by... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Following PBS Kids (@PBSKids) and Susan Heim on Parenting (@ParentingAuthor) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may tweet twice a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (It’s easy to tweet this giveaway by using the buttons at the bottom of this post. 1 entry per tweet.)
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Liking Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Liking PBS Kids on Facebook. (1 entry)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Friday, September 10, 2010, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Kelly D.!
DISCLOSURE: No products or compensation were provided for this post.