During the grilling season, the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) is providing safety information, food preparation tips and great grilling recipes so that families can enjoy a fun barbecue. They’ve teamed up with award-winning chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author, John Besh, to share these terrific safety tips while using a propane grill:
• Read and follow all the grill manufacturer’s instructions before turning on and lighting the grill.
• Keep the top open when lighting a propane grill, and don’t close it until you are sure the grill is lit.
• Prohibit children from tampering with the cylinder or the grill.
• If you smell gas, and it is safe to do so, turn off the cylinder valve, turning it to the right (clockwise). If you are unable to turn off the valve, immediately leave the area and dial 911 or call your local fire department. Before you use the grill again, have a qualified service technician inspect your grill and cylinder.
• Remain near the grill while it is on. Do not leave a lit grill unattended.
• Disconnect and cover hose-end fittings with plastic bags or protective caps to keep the grill clean when it is not in use.
• Store propane cylinders outdoors in an upright (vertical) position.
• When refilling or replacing a propane cylinder, transport it in a secure, upright (vertical) position in a well-ventilated area in your vehicle, and take it home immediately.
• Consult a qualified service technician if you are having grill or propane cylinder problems.
More safe grilling tips can be found at www.usepropane.com.
And, remember, while children should not be allowed near the grill, they can get involved in the barbecue by helping you select the menu, wash vegetables, shuck corn, and mix up the marinade!
Click here to download a terrific recipe for John Besh’s Brick Grilled Chicken and Blackberry Barbeque Tortilla Wraps. John Besh has a fabulous book out called My New Orleans: The Cookbook. This is a huge, hardcover book of 200 of John Besh’s favorite recipes and stories from his hometown of New Orleans. Besides the delicious recipes, the extra details and gorgeous photography really make this book stand out. This would look beautiful on a coffee table or make a cherished gift for someone who loves to cook.
Here’s your opportunity to win an AUTOGRAPHED copy of Chef John Besh’s hardcover book, My New Orleans: The Cookbook (a $45 value!). To enter, go to http://chefjohnbesh.com/ and leave a comment here with something unique you learned about John Besh. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries by:
- Sharing a unique item you like to cook on the grill. Do you have a special marinade or grill a food that people don’t normally grill? Please leave a comment! (1 entry)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting (@ParentingAuthor) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may tweet this giveaway twice a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (It’s easy to tweet this giveaway by using the Bookmark button at the bottom of this post. 1 entry per tweet.)
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Sunday, August 1, 2010, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open only to US residents.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Marci J!
DISCLOSURE: I was sent a copy of this book to pass along to a reader in a giveaway. No compensation was provided.