1. Eat smaller portions. I don’t believe in depriving myself. If I’m craving some chocolate, I’m going to have some! But one piece of chocolate satisfies my craving. Eating the whole bag of candy just heads straight for my thighs.
2. Get outside. I always feel better when I head out into the sunshine! Take a quick walk during your lunch break or toss a ball with the kids in the yard. (And don’t forget the sunscreen!)
3. Read something inspirational. This might be a daily devotion, the Bible, a self-help book, your favorite quotes or mantras, or a positive magazine you enjoy. The point is to read something that gives you encouragement and lifts your spirits.
4. Laugh often. Almost all of the movies and TV shows I watch are comedies. They just make me feel good! A good cry once in a while is also cleansing, but laughter is the best medicine.
5. Get unplugged. Turn off your computer, cell phone, game system and TV set and get addicted to reading a good book. Get caught up in a good mystery or love story. Learn about history or other cultures! Grow your mind.
6. Take time for yourself. Don’t feel guilty about doing something you enjoy -- alone. This might be heading to the beach, doing a little shopping or taking a class. Rediscover what you liked to do before you had children.
7. Smile. Have you ever had someone smile at you unexpectedly or give you a compliment? I bet it felt great! The next time you’re out and about, try flashing someone a huge smile. You’re almost sure to get a smile in return, and you can feel good about making somebody’s day!
8. Say something positive to yourself. Let’s face it: We can’t always count on other people to make us feel good about ourselves or to point out our talents. So, don’t be shy about tooting your own horn! Instead of beating yourself up for not being good at certain things, focus on those things that you do excel in.
9. Do something you fear. Have you ever kept putting off a call you had to make because you dreaded it? But then, when you actually made the call, it wasn’t as bad as you thought, and you felt tremendous relief afterward for taking the plunge. If there’s something on your list today that you’ve been putting off, just do it. (Or break it into smaller steps and get started on Step 1.) You’ll feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
10. Drop the soda; pick up the juice or water. Most soft drinks have absolutely no nutritional value. The next time you’re feeling thirsty, reach for a Tropicana juice or a glass of water! Your body will thank you.
So, what little things can you do today to become happier and healthier? For more ideas, read what other moms are doing at http://littlethings.twittermoms.com/. Feel free to tweet your own ideas on Twitter with the hashtag #Trop50 and/or leave them in a comment below!
About the Tropicana Trop50 and Juicy Rewards Program
Tropicana Trop50 provides the goodness of juice with 50 percent less calories and sugars, and no artificial sweeteners. Trop50 is a part of Tropicana’s Juicy Rewards program, which gives consumers more from their juice by offering 20,000 ways to save on fun, healthy pursuits. With Juicy Rewards, the savings come easily -- up to $15 for one carton of Tropicana Pure Premium and up to $30 in savings for one carton of Trop50! It takes just three simple steps to participate and save with Juicy Rewards: 1. Buy Tropicana, find the unique code on the package -- either under the cap or on the back of specially marked Tropicana Pure Premium and Trop50 products. 2. Register at Tropicana.com, enter the codes to get points. 3. Redeem points for incredible savings on healthy fun.
Here’s a special, exclusive TwitterMoms Juicy Rewards code just for you! Use TWMOM-READR to earn one Juicy Rewards point -- that’s up to $5 in savings! This one-time use code is valid for new accounts ONLY. Must be entered within 6 hours of creating your account. Limit one new account bonus code per new account. All accounts must be created and all codes entered by May 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM EST.
DISCLOSURE: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tropicana Trop50 blogging program to be eligible to win 6 free Juicy Rewards points and a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.