Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review: The Must-Have Mom Manual


When you’re a new mom, or even a seasoned pro, it’s common to ask yourself, “Am I doing the right thing for my child?” For example, should I breast- or bottle-feed (or both)? Should I go back to work full-time, scale back on my hours, do freelance work at home or make being a mommy my full-time career? Should my baby sleep with me or in a crib? Should I use disposable or cloth diapers? Is a pacifier helpful or harmful? These are just a few of the many questions that moms ask themselves. And the questions go way beyond the baby years. “Should I force my child to clean his plate?” “Should I spank or not?” “How many extracurricular activities should my child be involved in?” “Is public or private school better?” And there are plenty of people out there who have strong opinions on one choice over another, just adding to the confusion.

With that in mind, two very different moms, Sara Ellington and Stephanie Triplett, wrote The Must-Have Mom Manual to cover the pros and cons of a wide variety of important parenting choices. I love their philosophy: “We’ve learned that we don’t have to be the same kind of mom to be good ones.” And that’s really the bottom line. For many of these decisions, it’s a question of what’s right for your family, not anyone else’s. These two women often made very different choices, but all turned out to be just right for their households. Here are some of the many topics covered in this comprehensive book:

What not to feel guilty about
Trusting your instincts
Breast-feeding vs. bottle-feeding
Co-sleeping vs. crib-sleeping
Going back to work
Choosing day care
Public outings with little ones
Teaching values
Discipline
The quest for perfection
Signing up for sports
Getting organized
Potty-training
Finding time for yourself
Marital issues
Having a second child
Choosing a school


Trust me when I say that the above topics just barely touch on all of the great material to be found in The Must-Have Mom Manual. This book covers just about everything from birth to age 6! Fortunately, there’s an index so you can get right to the page you need when it’s time to make an important decision.

Mother’s Day is coming up. This would make a great gift for an expectant or new mom, or a friend who’s feeling conflicted about her parenting decisions. The Must-Have Mom Manual offers mothers the assurance that there are many “right” options when it comes to parenting, and we all have the ability to determine the choices that are best for our families.

Visit www.saraandstephanie.com for more information and to read an excerpt from the book. The Must-Have Mom Manual is available almost everywhere that books are sold!







DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate this review. No other compensation was provided.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.