Monday, February 22, 2010

What Will the Future Hold?


Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be (Job 8:7).

I love the Bible verse above. After all, we all come from humble beginnings. We are born into this world as helpless infants. Although we are endowed with certain genes, temperaments and talents, our future is essentially a blank slate. God certainly has a plan for our lives, and yet we have the free will to accept God’s plan or to follow a different path.

People love to ask children what they want to be when they grow up, as if a child really has a clear picture of what his future holds. Most kids will say they want to be a fireman or a ballerina, but most of them can’t even imagine the directions in which God will lead them or where they will choose to go. As a child, I certainly never envisioned that I would be a writer or a mother of four, and yet here I am on this exciting journey, clearly a gift from God.

As parents, it’s natural to wonder what our children’s lives will be like. Will they play sports? Excel in school? Go to college? Have a family? How often I’ve heard from one of my sons, “Mommy, I’m a big boy now!” My boys don’t want to be called “babies.” They can’t wait to forge headlong into their futures, to experience the perceived advantages of adulthood and move past the limitations that are placed upon them in childhood.

If only I could impress upon them the speed at which life passes. I want them to capture the memory of every moment, which is gone with the bat of an eye. I want them to enjoy the delights of childhood, the carefree days in which they abide. I want to spare them the growing pains that we all experience as we travel farther and farther on our life’s path. I want to tell my children not to rush to get to the future, for they may miss the lessons they’re meant to learn along the way and the joys they’re meant to experience.

But it’s difficult to impart a lesson to my children that I’m still learning myself. As an adult and a mother, I often take life very seriously. I forget to play, to relax, to savor the moments with my children. I rush from one thing to the next, one activity to another. I spend so much time guessing what the future holds that I forget that God’s gift of the present is the only thing that’s certain.

As parents, the present may be filled with chaos, challenges and responsibilities. It is rarely a peaceful or predictable life. It’s probably not the life we imagined we would be living. The joys, the trials, the love, the agony—all are gifts to be savored. We are not to worry about the future, but embrace today. Trust that God will continue to guide our steps and those of our children. Relax in the moment, knowing that He will lead the way.




1 comment:

  1. I don't want to miss a moment. There are times I get distracted, but I try to enjoy as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.