Monday, January 25, 2010

Rebel Without a Minivan: A Hilarious Account of Life in the Suburbs


Tears are running down my face right now because I’m reading Tracy Beckerman’s Rebel Without a Minivan: Observations on Life in the ’Burbs. The reason? I can’t stop laughing! City girl Tracy Beckerman has a wonderful and witty way of describing her life in suburbia, where she traded in her beloved four-flight walk-up for a house with a pool and a picket fence. How’s a city girl to survive? By writing about it in a newspaper column called “Lost in Surburbia,” which now runs in more than 400 newspapers and reaches more than 3.5 million people a week.

Now Beckerman has a book, Rebel Without a Minivan, in which she tackles the topics that make all moms cringe: shopping for school supplies, explaining sex to children, peeing in the pool, and the “serious business” of grilling! All are told in short, snort-inducing stories that busy moms can squeeze in while waiting in car line, warming the bench during soccer practice, or grabbing a quick cup of strong coffee. Check out this excerpt:
“One day, I happened to lift up the rubber bath mat in the kids’ bathroom to rinse the tub after one of them took a particularly filthy bath, and saw black. Literally.

“The bottom of this formerly white bath mat was covered in a living, breathing black mold that pretty much completely grossed me out.

“I don’t gross out easily. I routinely have to clean up after numerous pets, not to mention two kids and a husband, so being grossed out is something I’ve gotten used to. But this math mat was beyond gross. It was the bath mat from the black lagoon. An entire civilization of sticky fungus breeding in my bathtub. Mutant mold from outer space. I was sure if I didn’t get rid of it immediately, it would continue to multiply and grow until it enveloped my entire bathroom, then my house, and eventually the world. Yes, it was my duty as a member of the human race to kill it.”

I really think Beckerman has a camera set up in my house. I have four dirty, smelly sons and, therefore, I have mold. Lots of it. Ick! Anyway, if you’re up to your eyeballs in pacifiers, doggy doo, laundry soap, and germ warfare, pick up a copy of Tracy Beckerman’s Rebel Without a Minivan. If a city girl like her can survive life in the ’burbs, you can, too. The chuckles induced by this very funny book will definitely ease the ride!

P.S. Visit Tracy Beckerman's website at www.lostinsuburbia.net.







DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate this review. No other compensation was provided.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.