Saturday, January 09, 2010

My First “Published” Book

As many of you know, I write books for a living, but I wanted to share with you the fact that I was never a child prodigy when it comes to writing! My first book was “published” in second grade by my elementary school library and was called (I’m embarrassed to admit), The Girl Who Pooped in Her Pants! Here’s a picture of the cover below. As you can see, I wasn’t a very good illustrator either and, unfortunately, that has never changed!



I’m pleased to say that The Girl Who Pooped in Her Pants was the most popular book in the school library that spring (I still have the library card with all of the names on it) … probably because the subject of bodily functions is always hilarious to kids in early elementary school -- as my twin kindergartners prove to me on a daily basis.

So, for your reading enjoyment, here is the text of my first book!

Once there was a girl and she pooped in her pants.

And her mother got mad at her.

And she was 7 and she knew she wasn’t sposed to poop in her pants.

So her mom changed her pants.



And she sent her to her room.

Just then she came out of her room.

And said, “Mother, I pooped in my pants again.”



So her mother changed her pants, spanked her and sent her to her room again.

The End.

Yes, my twins are very proud of their mom for writing this book! I, on the other hand, will go crawl under my rock now…




10 comments:

  1. Amazing that you still have this. It definitely shows pootential. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. POO-tential? LOL Thanks for the chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 4 year old laughed hysterically!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've come a long way, baby. :) How precious that you still have this, I love finding things I've written or created from childhood, and I have a baby box for all four of my children, that I periodically update with things they have created, written, or just loved.

    Thanks for sharing you're spootacular (no groaning, please, I'm still laughing at Mama Mary) book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! You really knew and understood your readers and wrote to them. Perfect!

    One of my first favorable writing experiences was when I was in second grade. We were all instructed to quickly write a poem for the newsletter. I thought the task would be impossible, but then I just penned this:

    Birds, birds, where do you go?
    Way down in the meadow?
    Maybe not, maybe so.
    I will never know.

    Birds, birds, you're coming back?
    Did you go to your winter shack?
    Maybe not, maybe so.
    I will never know.

    I was published in our newsletter and got excellent feedback. It was very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the post and the comments.

    Laura...great poem.

    I don't have a publishing credit, but I do remember the first time I really started to love writing. A friend of mine wrote a silly haiku and sent it to a few of us. I wrote a rebuttal and the remainder of the day's productivity was lost to a flurry of competitive haikus.

    I have loved to write since that moment. Before that I thought writing was something that you were assigned when a teacher didn't like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan
    Your writing was great! I loved the graphics. Your topic was definitely would appeal to that age group

    Laura
    You definetly were at the top of your class! I work in an elementary school and that piece is above average.

    My first writing experience came much later. I hated the process of writing with a pencil so my skills were not developed until I found out about dictation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you all for your kind words on my poem. I can't believe that I remember it to this day. It goes to show what happens when you really commend a child for their writing.

    I just started hosting writing contests at my children's school. I give out prizes to the kids and then throw a party at the end with games and prizes for the participants (so that everyone is rewarded for writing).

    Susan, I love your book and think you were a tremendously enterprising child to come up with a whole book at such a young age. I hope to inspire our next generation in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, what a talented poet you are! You definitely showed much more writing potential at that age than I did! LOL And what a wonderful program you're doing at your children's school. I love how it encourages kids to have fun with writing.

    And, Brian, I loved your story about the haikus and learning to love writing. It's truly amazing when that "light bulb" comes on for some kids. I can't imagine life without it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan,
    It is sweet that you actually managed to put thoughts on paper at that age when we would just giggle and laugh at other kids who were in that predicament.

    Laya

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.