Friday, January 22, 2010
If you’ve got young kids, you’re most likely familiar with the terrific Super WHY show on PBS Kids. If you haven’t yet discovered this show, here’s what it’s all about: “Each episode of Super WHY, the award-winning literacy series from Out of the Blue Enterprises, engages young viewers in fun, interactive alphabet and word games, as well as imagination-stimulating spelling, vocabulary and comprehension activities, helping to instill a life-long love of reading all along the way!” Kids love it!
I’m excited to tell you that, on January 29, 2010, Super Why and his friends will be soaring into a new kind of book -- a cookbook! In this episode, Whyatt wants to bake Baby Joy a special birthday cake, but he doesn't know how. The Super Readers jump into a cookbook and get the information they need from a rhyming chef with a silly sense of humor as well as a recipe for fun! In the end, Whyatt learns how to cook up the perfect birthday for his little sister.
After the show, why not create your very own yummy reading adventure with your kids?! Encouraging preschoolers to read recipes, signs and more helps them navigate their world and gives them a real reason to use their newfound literacy skills. Asking questions will expand their creativity as well as reinforce comprehension. It can also inspire them to write their own signs, recipes or stories. Here are some great tips for combining cooking and literacy:
- Pick out a simple and tasty recipe with your budding Super Reader. Ask her to point out all of the letters and words she already knows in the ingredients.
- Write a grocery list together, sounding out the words as you go along.
- At the supermarket, have your kids help read the signs so you can find the ingredients you need.
- As you cook, read the recipe out loud every step of the way.
- Before serving your delicious treat, create colorful place cards for each member of the family, assisting your preschooler in writing out the names. Have fun -- and bon appétit!
And don’t forget to watch the new episode of Super WHY on January 29th! Check your local listings for show times.