Thursday, January 28, 2010
When my twin sons were potty-training, I was desperate to find tools and techniques that would help my boys to be successful. I was recently introduced to a new children’s book that I wish had been around when my boys were training. Even though they are now six years old, I read it to them anyway, and they absolutely loved it!
The name of the book is Even Firefighters Go to the Potty, and it was written by Wendy Wax and Naomi Wax. (Colorful and adorable illustrations are by Stephen Gilpin.) It’s a lift-the-flap book that shows kids that even big people whom they admire -- like firefighters, umpires, construction workers, and pilots -- take time out from their busy day to use the bathroom. For example, the first page says:
Clang! Clang! Clang!
The fire alarm is ringing!
The fire truck needs to go.
But where did the firefighter who drives the truck go?
And then the child lifts the flap on the page to find a firefighter sitting on the toilet -- polka-dot boxers and all! My boys laughed so hard every time they lifted a flap and saw someone on the potty. Some of the characters also set good examples, such as the waiter in the restaurant washing his hands in the rest room and the doctor being sure to flush.
Even Firefighters Go to the Potty is a wonderful addition to the tools now available to help children toilet-train. Kids will love the funny pictures, the guesswork involved in figuring out where the people in the story go, and the fun of opening the flaps to find the surprise inside. The humor will get them laughing and feeling more relaxed about going to the bathroom.
I love this book and strongly recommend that you get it for the little toilet-trainers in your life! Go to www.evenfirefightersgotothepotty.com to view several pages of the book, learn more about it, and order a copy. Even Firefighters Go to the Potty is also available through major booksellers and Amazon. You can learn more about coauthor Wendy Wax and her other books at www.wendywax.com.
I have a copy of Even Firefighters Go to the Potty, signed by coauthor Wendy Wax, to give away to one lucky winner! To enter, go to www.evenfirefightersgotothepotty.com and find out who else goes to the potty in the book that I didn’t mention in this review! (Hint: There are two others listed.) Leave a comment on this post with the occupation of one or both of them. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You may earn optional, additional entries by:
- Following me (@ParentingAuthor) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may do this twice a day. Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (It’s easy to tweet this giveaway by using the Bookmark button at the bottom of this post.)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment.
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL.
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
- Listing Susan Heim on Parenting as one of your Favorites on Technorati. (See “Add this Blog to My Technorati Favorites” banner on the left sidebar.) Leave a comment with your Technorati user name.
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method.
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Friday, February 12, 2010, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. U.S. addresses only.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to "Anonymous" with email address: email@example.com!
DISCLOSURE: The author sent me one copy of this book to review and then give away in this contest. No compensation was provided.