Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kellogg’s Is Adding Fiber to Some of Their Kids’ Cereals!


Did you know that 90% of children don’t get enough fiber in their diets? If your kids are as picky as some of mine, that’s not surprising. One of my sons would survive solely on sweet foods if I let him! So, even though I continue to push healthier foods, I also let him satisfy his sweet tooth once in a while. When it’s time to shop for cereal, he gravitates toward the kids’ cereals. Therefore, it’s good to know that Kellogg’s is trying to make some of their cereals healthier for kids.

Kellogg’s Apple Jacks and Froot Loops, two of their most popular children’s cereals, now have three grams of fiber per serving. These cereals include ingredients such as whole-grain corn flour, whole-grain oat flour, oat fiber and soluble corn fiber. Over the next year, Kellogg’s will be extending the added fiber benefits to their other cereal lines.

However, for moms, the big question is: Will my kids eat it? So, we did a little taste test at our house. I was sent a box of the original Froot Loops and a box of Froot Loops with added fiber. Then my kids tried cereal from each box without knowing which one they were eating from. I made it as comparable as possible by having them compare a red original Froot Loop to a red added-fiber Froot Loop, a yellow original Froot Loop to a yellow added-fiber Froot Loop, and so on. My kids could not tell the difference! Honestly, they liked both cereals the same. When my husband and I tasted them, we thought the added-fiber cereal tasted a little less sweet, but as adults we found that to be a good thing! So, for our household, we’ll be purchasing the added-fiber versions next time we’re ready to get children’s cereal.

You can find out more about nutrition, fiber and Kellogg’s new cereals at www.kelloggsnutrition.com or www.kelloggs.com/fiber. The new added-fiber cereals are already at your grocery store, so I hope you’ll look for them when you’re buying children’s cereal. (And check out the coupons page on the Kellogg’s website, too!) Thanks to Kellogg’s and Mom Central for introducing our family to this new healthier option for children’s cereal.





DISCLOSURE: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Kellogg’s and received boxes of Froot Loops and Apple Jacks and a gift certificate to thank me for taking the time to participate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment