Sunday, November 29, 2009

I’ll Believe You: A Sci-Fi Comedy That’s Entertaining and Thought-Provoking

Support IBY

I was recently asked to review a movie called I’ll Believe You. To be honest, I hadn’t heard of it. It had a limited release in theaters at the end of 2008 and then came out on DVD in September 2009. So, I wasn’t expecting it to be great. But when I saw who was in the cast, including Patrick Warburton (“Puddy” on Seinfeld), Fred Willard (in a huge number of shows and movies), and Chris Elliott (he still grosses me out in There’s Something About Mary!), I decided to give it a try. I’m really glad I did! I enjoyed it immensely.

The story takes place in Melbourne, Florida (as a Florida resident, I could relate to the scenery) at a radio station where Dale Sweeney (played wonderfully by David Alan Basche) is about to be canned from his show because nobody’s listening to it. (Maybe the show’s wee-hours-of-the-morning time slot had something to do with it!) But Dale’s show suddenly gains new listeners when someone reports the sighting of a possible UFO followed by a mysterious call by someone speaking an unknown language at 1:13 every morning. Who is this strange person? Is it even a person? What is he trying to say? Why does he always call at the same time? Dale is desperate to save his radio show (and avoid working for his brother at Hose World), so he and his oddball friends and listeners set out to solve the mystery. When the “alien” is finally nabbed, his identity is a big surprise!

Watch this trailer, which will tell you more about the movie:



(If you’re reading this via email, you may need to click onto the title of this article to access it on my blog.)

I also watched the “Making of…” bonus feature on this movie, and it was surprisingly shocking and honest. It tells how the movie was put together … and then almost got thrown in the trash! After screening I'll Believe You with test audiences, they found that the whole beginning of the movie, which introduces all the characters and a subplot, just didn’t work. They had to find a way to remove the subplot and rewrite the first part of the movie so that it flowed into the rest, without reshooting any of it! If you’re interested in filmmaking, you’ll be fascinated by how they corrected this very complicated problem!

I encourage you to go to www.illbelieveyoudvd.com to learn more about the movie and find out where you can order it, including on Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart. I'll Believe You is a fun and creative film that is well worth the purchase or rental.





DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of the I’ll Believe You DVD to facilitate this review. No other compensation was provided. This is my opinion, and your experience may differ from mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.