Saturday, October 03, 2009

Small Talk Six: Watch What You Say Around the Kids!


This week’s topic on Small Talk Six is “6 things you say, but wouldn’t want your children to repeat.” (What’s Small Talk Six? Click here to find out.) Ouch! I think we’re all guilty of saying things that we don’t want to teach our kids to say! Here’s my list:

“I hate my body.” I’ve always struggled with self-esteem issues, and I want to teach my kids to love themselves! So, I try not to put myself down in front of them.

“I dread having to work.” If we make work sound miserable, our kids are going to pick up on that. I want them to develop a good work ethic and seek out a career and job that they look forward to doing every day!

“I’m no good at this.” How many times have I berated myself for being a lousy cook or a terrible artist? I want to encourage my kids to keep trying to uncover their special talents and not to beat themselves up for not being an expert at everything.

“Close the damn door!”
After fighting off a gazillion mosquitoes in the house, I must admit that I’ve lost my cool a few times when the kids left the front door ajar again. Unfortunately, I later heard the same words come out of the mouth of one of my sons. Oops…

“I need chocolate!” I want my kids to have healthier dietary habits than I do.

“I’m afraid…” I have fears about a lot of things, which holds me back. I want my kids to be adventurous, and not be hampered by fears and “what ifs.”

So, now it’s your turn! Leave a comment on this post describing some of the “things you say, but wouldn’t want your children to repeat.” And then click here to find links to other bloggers’ Small Talk Six lists for the week.




5 comments:

  1. We don't use the word 'stupid' at our house but on more then one occasion I have been overheard in the car muttering under my breath 'lady could you be more stupid ?' when a particularly bad driver is around.

    Though my kids do remind me that it's not a word we are allowed to say !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with putting yourself down in front of your kids. It's hard to always be positive but we have to be in front of the kids. My kids are grown and I have to be careful in front of my grand kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Close the damn door!” LOL I am bad at this

    ReplyDelete
  4. See now your answers were thoughtful and insightful. Mine were, uh, profane!! LMAO

    I suck. I could make a sailor AND a trucker blush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are very mild. I could see where the chocolate comment could turn bad though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.