Saturday, October 24, 2009

Small Talk Six: In-Laws and Outlaws


This week’s topic on Small Talk Six is “6 things (good or bad) that you credit your mother-in-law for.” (What’s Small Talk Six? Click here to find out.) This is very timely for me because my in-laws happen to be visiting from Alaska right now! I really like my mother-in-law, so you won’t be reading too many complaints here…

1. She trained my husband to do housework. He does laundry, cleans, cooks… I’m really fortunate that he helps out with these things because I hate to do them!

2. She doesn’t offer advice unless it’s asked for. She’s never been nosy or interfering.

3. She is strong in her faith. I never really enjoyed going to church until I met my husband and started attending his church. Now it’s a big part of my life and has been a wonderful influence on my children.

4. She’s always in a good mood. She doesn’t hold grudges or get upset about things. She’s peaceful to have around.

5. She encouraged my husband to be successful in life. Even though she and my father-in-law never went to college, she had a very successful business career. There was no question that my husband would go to college and value education.

6. Here’s the one negative… She’s too perfect! Sometimes, I feel like I don’t live up to my husband’s expectations because he would like me to do things as well as his mom does. He got a little spoiled by her good cooking, etc., and doesn’t always understand why I’m not the same.

So, now it’s your turn! Leave a comment on this post describing some of “things (good or bad) that you credit your mother-in-law for.” And then click HERE to find links to other bloggers’ Small Talk Six lists for the week.




8 comments:

  1. She does sound too good to be true. I understand why you would feel like number 6. But still, its a lot better than dealing with a nightmare MIL like my sister has to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing worse than feeling that you are not living up to someones expectations.

    Here is mine http://lovemy2dogs.blogspot.com/2009/10/small-talk-six-my-mother-in-law.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I agree with you. I'd much rather deal with #6 than having someone who's interfering, bossy, etc. I have four sons, and I hope I will be a good mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO lucky with your MIL! That's not at all how most people feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My MIL sounds a lot like yours actually. Here are some other things she does...

    1. She has a story for everything and repeats her stories a dozen times. Some of her stories are really funny though so I don't mind.

    2. Every trait of my kids from hair color to personality comes from her and her side of the family according to her. I feel a little left out, but it's sort of become an inside joke now with my husband.

    3. She is overcautious with my twins which I actually love. I thought I was overcautious, but she really takes it to an art form. I know that my kids are safe with her and grandpa.

    4. She makes down-home old-fashioned comfort foods which is completely different from how my mom used to cook. I love it!

    5. She is a kind soul and would never hurt anyone. She goes out of her way for her family (and even buys and wraps her own Christmas gifts so her husband doesn't have to).

    6. Her family is French-Canadian so she can speak French - she used to be fluent, but she's lost a lot of it from not using it.

    We are 2 completely different people without a lot of interests in common except for loving her son, but we seem to get along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, onobtrusive mother-in-laws rock! Enjoy the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats too funny. You are so so so again so lucky. This is a very important relationship and Im so glad that its going well for you.

    Lucy
    Heres mine http://postpartumillness.com/node/172

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:13 PM

    I hope your husband and MIL has seen this. Ho lucky you ALL are. There is a company formed by a MIL and a DIL that sells inexpensive button jewelry, appropriately named MILandDIL.com .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.