Back in June, I told you about the wonderful audiobook series, Tell Me a Story. At that time, I gave away a copy of the delightful Tell Me a Story 2: Animal Magic. Now, I am so thrilled to tell you that Tell Me a Story 3: Women of Wonder is available! Even better, I have a copy to give away to one lucky reader!
First, let me refresh your memory about the terrific Tell Me a Story series. Here’s what I said in my previous post:
How do you entertain your kids when you’re in the car? Perhaps you put a movie in the DVD player or crank up the radio. Our family has discovered another great entertainment option while we’re traveling: Tell Me a Story audiobooks! These CDs consist of multicultural folktales told by award-winning actors. They’ve been praised by the School Library Journal, the Midwest Book Review and many other magazines, newspapers and blogs…. The stories are told with great showmanship by theater and film actors and accompanied by wonderful music by Laura Hall. (I remember her as the piano player on the TV show, Whose Line Is It Anyway?!) These stories are a wonderful way to pass the time while you’re in the car or even stuck indoors this summer on a rainy day. The CDs are available on Amazon, CD Baby, and other online stores.
Tell Me a Story 3: Women of Wonder follows the same magical formula, with brilliant writing by Amy Friedman, beautiful music by Laura Hall, and captivating reading by many accomplished women. On this edition, “Legendary heroines and goddesses seek and struggle, win and lose, laugh and cry in magical stories and marvelous music from around the world.” Let me give you a sneak peak at the first story, “The Cleverest Tune,” which is a British folktale told by actress Bryce Dallas Howard.
In “The Cleverest Tune,” a widowed merchant is on his death bed and wonders which of his three children should inherit his beautiful 200-room mansion. He tells them that they will each receive one pound after his death, which they must use to purchase something that will fill every single room, every nook and cranny, in the house. Whoever succeeds gets the estate. After his death, the oldest son, Barnaby, buys bags of feathers and scatters them throughout the mansion, but by the time the advisors have gone through all the rooms, the feathers have fallen to the ground. Second-born Henry puts candles in every room to fill every corner with light, but the candles have all melted and plunged the house into darkness by the time the advisors reach all the rooms. The youngest, daughter Beatrice, buys a harmonica and plays beautiful music. When the advisors ask her what she is doing, she says she is filling every room with the sound of music, followed by the sounds of joy as the advisors and servants dance to the beautiful sounds, which brings new life to the entire estate after her father’s death. The advisors agree that Beatrice has accomplished her father’s wish, and she inherits the house. Fortunately, she is also a kind soul and agrees to look after her brothers, too.
This unique story is one of 8 delightful tales on this CD that originated in 8 different countries! Kids and adults alike will be fascinated by these wonderful stories.
Tell Me a Story 3: Women of Wonder is the winner of a 2009 Parents Choice Gold Medal and a 2009 NAPPA Gold Medal for storytelling!
Now, for the giveaway! To enter to win a copy of Tell Me a Story 3: Women of Wonder, visit the website at MythsAndTales.com and leave a comment here with the name of another story on the CD besides “The Cleverest Tune.” This is required for your first entry.
Earn optional, additional entries by:
- Becoming a fan of Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook. Leave a comment with your Facebook ID.
- Following me on Twitter (@ParentingAuthor) and tweeting about this giveaway. Leave a comment with the URL of your tweet. You may tweet once a day. Please leave a separate comment for each tweet.
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog. (The code is in the upper right-hand column of this site.) Post a comment with your blog’s URL.
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post.
- Listing Susan Heim on Parenting as one of your Favorites on Technorati. (See “Add this Blog to My Technorati Favorites” banner on the left sidebar.) Leave a comment with your Technorati user name.
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, as a Follower on Blogger, or on your Kindle (see sign-up options on sidebars). Leave a comment for each subscription method.
- Entering the GE Appliance giveaway. Click on the picture of the stove near the top of the left sidebar. Leave a comment on this contest page each time you enter. You can enter daily!
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Thursday, October 1, 2009, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to the winner, Theresa N., who said: "Another title is 'Reindeer Maiden.' We love listening to audio stories."