Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy National Punctuation Day!


I make my living as an editor and writer, so I have to admit that I’m a real stickler for proper punctuation and grammar. I drive myself crazy finding mistakes in magazines and newspapers. So, you can imagine my enthusiasm in finding out that there’s actually a National Punctuation Day! It’s been going on for six years, and I never knew it!

The holiday, celebrated every September 24th, was founded by Jeff Rubin, a journalist who also became frustrated by all the errors he encountered while working. The holiday, though, is really aimed at schoolchildren in an effort to encourage good grammar and punctuation. Every year, teachers and students create various games and activities to celebrate National Punctuation Day, and Rubin is even holding a contest this year to discover the best punctuation-themed baked goods!

Now that kids and adults are using their own version of shorthand to send text messages, emails and tweets, the art of proper punctuation and spelling is being lost. I encourage you to visit www.nationalpunctuationday.com/ to learn more about this terrific holiday. If you hurry, there’s still time to enter the baking contest before it ends on September 30th! The website also has other ideas for celebrating National Punctuation Day, information on using correct punctuation, punctuation-related products you can purchase, a newsletter, and much more.

Thanks, Jeff Rubin, for creating my new favorite holiday! And you, dear reader, can celebrate at your house by making the official Punctuation Day Meat Loaf recipe found on the National Punctuation Day website. Happy punctuating!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.