Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Welcome to Day 3 of my birthday giveaway! Today’s giveaway book is:
Oh, Baby! 7 Ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year
by Bettie B. Youngs, Ph.D., Susan M. Heim, and Jennifer Lee Youngs
About the Book:
Are you ever really prepared for your first child? Or even the second or third? So you’ve got the nursery set up, the diapers bought and the pediatrician selected, but you may be shocked at how, despite your best efforts, you’re totally unprepared for parenthood! Oh, Baby! 7 Ways a Baby Will Change Your Life the First Year will provide you—the expectant or new parent—with the “real story” about the many ways a new baby will turn your life upside-down. These changes—which occur in 7 key areas of life—may surprise you:
• Love: A new baby will introduce you to the deepest, purest love you’ll ever know, but how can this also be a painful love?
• Self: Having a child “completes you” and makes you a better person, but in what ways will it also challenge your sense of “self”?
• Marriage: Baby’s first year of life exerts many pressures on a marriage. How can you and your partner work toward moving the pendulum from confinement, confusion and chaos back to fun, reward and growth?
• Career: There are so many decisions to be made. Will you be able to balance all of the responsibilities that go along with making a living and raising a child—and do them both successfully?
• Spiritual Life: The miracle of new life can be spiritually awakening, but in what ways can it also test your faith?
• Friends: Friendships come and go throughout your life—but especially when a new baby arrives. How does having a baby attract—but also alienate!—friends?
• Extended Family: Having a baby is a “family affair” that impacts—both positively and negatively—your relationships with parents, in-laws and siblings. Is family harmony possible?
While this book is realistic in the ways that life is changed post-baby, it offers practical advice and sensitive know-how to help you survive—and even thrive!—in the first year. Through the use of fascinating narratives, poignant questions, suggested activities and experienced advice, you’ll find solutions that maximize an optimistic view in tackling the challenges that are naturally a part of new parenthood. Best of all, your new coping skills will free you up from the stresses of that first year so you can love your baby—and cherish your new family—for the ultimate parenting experience!
Oh, Baby is a proud winner of a Parent to Parent Adding Wisdom Award, an iParenting Media Award and a Mom’s Choice Award! Learn more about Oh, Baby at www.ababywillchangeyourlife.com.
To enter to win a copy of this book, simply leave a comment answering the question:
When you became a parent, what surprised you the most about how your life changed? (If you’re currently expecting your first child, list some ways in which you think your life will change after the baby is born.)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified entries received by September 17, 2009, at midnight EST. One entry per person please. Make sure you leave an email address if it’s not on your Blogger page. Winners have 72 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected.
CONTEST CLOSED. Congratulations to Anonymous, who said: "I was surprised how little sleep you can function on because you have to :)."
To learn more about The 12 Days Til My Birthday Giveaway, click here.