Thursday, August 20, 2009
September is national rice month, and the USA Rice Federation has already started celebrating. They recently launched their Rice to the Rescue Sweepstakes to help educate consumers about the health and economic benefits of rice.
Personally, I love rice! Brown rice, white rice… I like any kind! And, amazingly, all my kids love it, too. Best of all, the USA Rice Federation says that rice is only 10 cents per serving -- a big “plus” in these tough economic times. I also love all the things you can do with rice. There are so many different recipes through which you can turn rice into an entrée, a side dish, and even a dessert! And, according to the USA Rice Federation, U.S.-grown rice:
• Is sodium- and cholesterol-free
• Has only a trace of fat and has no trans fats or saturated fats
• Is gluten-free and the least allergenic of all grains
• Is nutrient dense and contributes over 15 vitamins and minerals including folate and other B-vitamins, iron and zinc
• Has approximately 100 calories per half-cup serving
• Is comprised of complex carbohydrates that are more slowly digested
• Is an energy food, supplying carbohydrates that fuel the body’s physical activity
• Triggers the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain that helps regulate and improve mood
• Also, brown rice is a 100% whole grain. One cup of whole grain brown rice provides two of the three recommended daily servings of whole grains.
From now until October 31, 2009, you can go to www.usarice.com/ricetotherescue and find information about the benefits of rice, tips about using it, and delicious recipes! Even better, you can win some great prizes just by submitting your own budget-saving tips! Here’s what you can win:
The best 10 budget-stretching tips using rice will be posted on their website.
The USA Rice Federation has also challenged me to send the most people to their site to enter the sweepstakes, so when you pull up the form at www.usarice.com/ricetotherescue and you see the box that says, “How did you learn about the contest?” PLEASE enter:
Susan Heim on Parenting
I would love for some of you reading this blog to win in the Rice to the Rescue Sweepstakes! You can buy a lot of groceries (and especially a lot of rice!) with $500! And those rice cookers are really cool, too. We use our rice cooker all the time! So, start thinking up those budget-saving tips and enter today!