Friday, August 14, 2009
This week’s topic on Small Talk Six is “6 things you do, used to do, or would like to do to relax.” (What’s Small Talk Six? Click here to find out.) This is a tough one for me because I rarely relax! I know I should, but I always feel guilty and tackle something on my to-do list instead. So, these six things, for me, are my intentions for relaxing.
1. Go to the beach. I live in Florida near the coast, so there’s no excuse for me not to go to the beach more often! I hate the prep work involved (packing up the towels, chairs, kids’ toys, snacks, and putting on sunscreen), but I’m always happy once I get there that I made the effort.
2. Go on vacation. I love to travel, but I want to go on a real vacation, not one where I’m visiting relatives or attending a conference. Believe it or not, I haven’t been anyplace in several years! My excuse was always that my twins were too young, but now that they’re almost six, I can’t use that excuse anymore. I’ve got to go someplace!
3. Read a good novel. A lot of the reading I do is “work.” I either need to post a review about it or I’m trying to improve myself or my business. I long for the days when I would just get absorbed in a good story with no other purpose other than to entertain myself. I need to give myself permission to do this more often.
4. Watch a movie. Two nights ago, I watched a chick flick, and I loved it! But that’s only because my husband was out of town (which is rare), so I didn’t feel guilty about taking over the TV (normally his domain). There are so many movies I’ve wanted to see but haven’t because they’re not my husband’s kind of movie. Plus, I usually work in the evenings when my kids are asleep. I’d like to give myself a “movie night” once a week to see a movie of my choice.
5. Take a nap. Every morning when I drag myself out of bed, I think how wonderful a nap would be that day. But I never do it. I get caught up in work and everything else and don’t. Everyone needs a good nap every once in a while (and not just when they’re sick).
6. Get outdoors. Of course, I can do this by going to the beach (see #1 above), but that isn’t my only option. I should take a walk, go play ball with my kids, plant some flowers, or even just take my book (see #3 above) and go read out in the sun. It’s been a hot summer here in south Florida, but now that we’ll hopefully be getting some cooler temperatures soon, I hope to get outside more to relax.
So, now it’s your turn! Leave a comment explaining “6 things you do, used to do, or would like to do to relax.” And go to http://www.momdot.com/blog/small-talk-six-rest-relaxation-whats-are-those/ to see what other bloggers are doing to relax!