Saturday, August 22, 2009

Small Talk Six: Good-Bye, Summer!


This week’s topic on Small Talk Six is “6 things you’ll miss (or won’t miss) about summer.” (What’s Small Talk Six? Click here to find out.) My kids started school this week, so our summer is now over! Here are the 6 things I will miss -- and not miss -- about summer!

- I’ll miss getting to sleep in a little bit later in the mornings. My twins just started kindergarten, so we all need to get up an hour earlier because school starts earlier than summer camp. Unfortunately, I am not a morning person! And I work at night, so I hate to lose work time by going to bed earlier.

- I’ll miss the freedom from homework. Now that school has started, I know my teens will be much more stressed-out by homework. And when they’re not happy, I’m not happy. That’s just the way it is with moms!

- I’ll miss the calmer traffic. I live in a tourist area, and the traffic is much worse in the winter when the “snowbirds” (people who spend winters in Florida and summers up north) and tourists show up. The wait for a table at a restaurant is much shorter in the summer, too.

- I won’t miss the heat. It gets pretty humid in Florida in the summer. I’m fairly heat-tolerant, but my favorite season in Florida is still winter. It’s the best time of year here!

- I won’t miss paying for camp! My twins are attending public school for the first time, so we’re finally free of paying for summer camp (and pre-Kindergarten and preschool before that!).

- I won’t miss the mosquitoes! They’ve been just terrible this year. There’s nothing worse than being woken up in the middle of the night by a mosquito buzzing in your ear! And I’m tired of yelling CLOSE THE DOOR! all day. Hopefully, the mosquitoes will lighten up this winter.

So, now it’s your turn! Leave a comment explaining “6 things you’ll miss (or won’t miss) about summer.” And click here to see what other bloggers are going to miss (or not miss) about summer!




8 comments:

  1. 1. Sleeping in. Best thing about having teens is the quiet mornings for mom!

    2. Summer movies. So many great movies this summer.

    3. Beach vacation. We live in the desert, so the water is such a treat.

    4. Watching mindless TV shows I don't have time for during the school year. I sit and rest more in the summer.

    5. One and one time with each of my boys. This summer I made a point to have "Just Me & My Mom" time with each son. Now that school is in (and I work for the district) we're all crazy busy!

    6. Making the day up as we go. That is the best part of summer- no schedule, no agenda, no have-to's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Dawn! I love how you made a point to schedule in one-on-one time with each of your kids. I'm sure they loved it!

    I noticed on your profile that we both love Jane Austen novels! I even have a son named Austen (yes, spelled the same way). Too bad Jane only wrote 6 novels!

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not realize that you were also in FL? You sound like you were describing my area too:)
    There is not much I will miss about the summer time! I can't wait for the weather to get cooler so we can spend more time outside, and start going back to Disney again:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list

    here's mine
    http://allthingsmadebykelly.blogspot.com/2009/08/small-talk-six-goodbye-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sleeping late!

    God Bless,
    Susan
    Author of Callie and the Stepmother

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I'm with you on not being a morning person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ready for the mosquitoes to go too! Unfortunately they're still here and bit me up all day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - we don't have the snowbird problem where I live. Very funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.