Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to School with Lunchables and Their Better-for-You Lunch Combinations


My kids are really picky eaters, and we always have a tough time figuring out what to put in their school lunches that they will actually eat! So when Mom Central asked if I would try out some of the new Oscar Mayer Lunchables products, I saw this as a great opportunity to find more options for my finicky kids. I was not disappointed!

I took my free Lunchable coupon to the store and scored a box of Mini Burgers from their Lunchables Lunch Combinations line. I also bought the Pizza + Treatza combination because that looked really tasty, too! I told the kids we were saving them for their school lunches, but they were so anxious to try them that I finally let them eat them at home because I wanted to see if they really did enjoy them! Guess what? They ate every bite!

The Mini Burgers are adorable. They come with two grilled burger patties made of 100% beef, four mini slices of Kraft American cheese, two buns, a packet each of ketchup and mustard, a Capri Sun fruit punch, and a mini Nestle Crunch bar for dessert. If your kids are having this at school, they can eat them at room temperature. If they’re home, you can warm the burgers slightly in the microwave as we did. My boys said they were delicious and gobbled them up! (These are the same children who often leave their regular fast food burgers untouched on the plate, so I was impressed!)

The Pizza + Treatza Lunchable came with three little pizza crusts made with whole grain. Two of them were for making mini-pizzas, and the third was for a dessert pizza! The meal came with very generous portions of shredded Kraft mozzarella cheese, a packet of pizza sauce, a packet of chocolate fudge frosting and lots of mini rainbow chips! It also included a Capri Sun 100% fruit juice. Again, my kids ate every bite! They really enjoyed putting their little pizzas together and ate the meal at room temperature. Yum!

I encourage you to head on over to http://brands.kraftfoods.com/lunchables/ to check out the other varieties of Lunchables. There are all sorts of combinations, from subs to crackers and cheese to mini hot dogs. And look for the following logo on those Lunchables that are part of their new better-for-you line:


The Pizza + Treatza meal that we tried displayed the logo! Lunchables are a fun and handy addition to the choices available for your child’s school lunches. Your kids will have fun putting them together and, best of all, eating them! You might also want to stock up on them when your grocery store has them on sale (as ours did last week) so you’ll have them handy on those days when you’re running late and don’t have time to make a lunch. Thanks to Mom Central for arranging for us to try delicious Lunchables!



DISCLOSURE: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central on behalf of Oscar Mayer Lunchables and received a sample to facilitate my candid review. In addition, Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a little frightening on stabilized products like these. I loved the cheese and cracker packs as a kid, but now that I am MOM I try to keep as fresh as possible. How was the sodium content on these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    If you go to the Lunchables website and click on each item, there's a button next to it that says "View Nutritional Info." It pulls up a chart with the information for each individual meal. Also, as I noted in the post, you may not want to send these to school with your child every single day, but they're a fun alternative for a special day or if you oversleep and run out of time to make lunch yourself. Thanks for your feedback!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.