Sunday, June 22, 2008

When Kids Cut Their Own Hair


In my groggy state this morning, I thought I noticed something strange about four-year-old Austen’s appearance. It seemed to be a little more extreme than “bed head.” As I looked more closely, I realized that he had cut off a big chunk of his bangs! He’d been using his kid scissors yesterday, but I didn’t notice that he’d given himself a haircut! He never said a word.

Now, my husband and I are debating about what to do. Do we wait until Tuesday when the kids’ haircut place is open? (Today is Sunday.) Or does my husband whip out the electric razor and give the kid a buzz cut? And what do we do about his twin brother? Do we leave his hair long, or buzz him, too, so the boys have the same hairstyle? I’ve never been a big fan of the military haircut for kids, but it looks like I may not have a choice!

My mom told me that I cut off my little sister’s bangs when we were kids, so I guess this “talent” for haircutting is an inherited trait. (At least I was smart enough to mutilate her hair instead of mine!) I never thought, however, that I would be experiencing this problem with a boy. Usually, it’s little girls who decide to mess with their hairstyles (and that of their dolls). I looked on the Web for some words of wisdom on how to handle this debacle. The consensus seems to be to cut it short and take comfort in the fact that hair will grow. In the meantime, I think I’ll be confiscating all the scissors in the house!

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

5 comments:

  1. At least it's in the center, so it doesn't look so bad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I suppose it could be worse! It looks a little more jagged in "real life," but it's not the worst haircut I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. askcozy12:01 PM

    Perhaps you will take comfort knowing that nearly every child experiments with haircuts at some point...even my own son cut his own hair and i'm in the business of kid's hair!! You can also take comfort that nearly every child does it only once!!! good thing hair grows :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, he won't do it again, after seeing the shock on our faces! Now, we just have to worry about his twin brother. They have very different personalities, though, so perhaps he won't follow in his brother's footsteps in this regard. It is comforting to know, though, that other kids do this. I'm sure it will be a source of laughter when he gets older and we show him the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:30 AM

    You do have another choice, you could trim the bangs so it looks like it never happened? Of course, he would have shorter bangs, but it's better than a buzz!

    ReplyDelete